Fairfax County Public Schools will be closed for the rest of the week so crews can continue to clean up from the three-foot snowfall that pummeled the area over the weekend.
FCPS students have not had school since last Wednesday. By the end of the week, there will have been seven snow days used this schools year.
The closing is condition 5, which means school offices will be open.
The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
- School age child care (SACC) centers are closed
While FCPS is responsible for the area immediately around school grounds, it is not responsible for clearing sidewalks for the entire route to school.
The school system sent an email to families earlier this week urging them to help shovel the sidewalks nearby in order to aid in snow-removal efforts.
Photo: Terraset Elementary School/Credit: Leslie Sogandares