That means many things will close early on Saturday for countdown celebrations, and will remain closed Monday in observance of the New Year’s holiday.
Reston Now will be publishing as usual on Monday, Jan. 2.
Reston Association and Fairfax County Government:
- Reston Association offices and facilities, including the Central Services facility, will close on Monday, Jan. 2 in observance of New Year’s Day. In addition, the Nature Center will close Dec. 31 through Jan. 2, though the trails at Walker Nature Center will remain open.
- Fairfax County government offices are also closed Monday, Jan. 2.
- Fairfax County Public Schools remain on Winter Break, with school resuming on Tuesday, Jan. 3.
County Libraries, Recreation Centers:
- Fairfax County public libraries are closed Sunday and Monday, Jan. 1 and 2.
- On Saturday, Dec. 31, all Fairfax County RECenters are open at their usual time and will close at 4 p.m. except George Washington, which is closed. All other sites such historic sites, nature centers, visitors centers and houses are closed.
- Historic sites, nature centers and Riverbend Visitors Center are open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Frying Pan Farm Park is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the Visitors Center is open 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Green Springs Gardens Horticultural Center is open 12-4:30 p.m. but the Historic House is closed.
- On Sunday, Jan. 1, all RECenters except George Washington are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. All historic sites and visitors centers are closed.
- More detailed information and hours for specific locations is available on the county government website.
Reston Community Centers:
- RCC Hunters Woods is open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Dec. 31. and 12-5 p.m. on Jan. 1. The center is open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Jan. 2.
- The Terry L. Smith Aquatics Center is open 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 31 and 12-4:30 p.m. on Jan. 1. The center is open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Jan. 2.
- RCC Lake Anne is closed Dec. 31-Jan. 2.
Fairfax County Courts:
- Fairfax County Circuit and General District courts are open as usual on Dec. 31, and will be closed Monday, Jan. 2 in observance of New Year’s Day.
- On Saturday, Dec. 31 for New Year’s Eve, Metrorail will operate on a Saturday schedule from 7 a.m. until 3 a.m. In addition, fares will be waived between midnight and 3 a.m. thanks to a partnership with MillerCoors. Metrobus will operate on a Saturday schedule. MetroAccess subscription rides are canceled.
- On Sunday, Jan. 1, Metrorail will operate from 7 a.m. to midnight on a Sunday schedule. Metrobus will operate on a Sunday schedule. MetroAccess subscription rides are canceled.
- On Monday, Jan. 2, Metrorail will operate from 7 a.m. to midnight on a Sunday schedule. Metrobus will operate on a Sunday schedule. MetroAccess subscription rides are canceled.
- Off-peak fares will be in effect on all three days, and parking fees are waived at all Metro-operated parking facilities.
- Track work will resume on Monday, Jan. 2 on the Red, Orange, Silver and Blue Metrorail lines.
Connector Buses and Fastran:
- Fairfax Connector buses will run on a Sunday schedule on Sunday and Monday, Jan. 1 and 2. See details of all routes online.
- All Fastran neighborhood and community service transportation programs will be closed Saturday through Monday, Dec. 31 to Jan. 2.
Trash and Recycling:
- Residents should contact their individual service providers to find out their holiday collection schedules. Information about various providers throughout the county are available on the government website.
- For residents who wish to recycle household items, hazardous waste and items such as Christmas trees, the I-66 Station in Fairfax will be closed on New Year’s Day, Sunday, Jan. 1.
Fairfax County Public Schools Fairfax County Public Schools could require parental notifications for class materials deemed sexually explicit, but in a deviation from the state, the proposed policy directly addresses…
A public art piece inspired by the connectivity and energy of atoms has been erected in Reston Town Center’s Hyatt Park. Called “Vidustria,” the installation is drawn from the word…
A man walks by trash bins next to the curb (via Trinity Nguyen on Unsplash) The service and staffing challenges plaguing trash collectors throughout Fairfax County have prompted one company…
Sunlight behind a peaked, glass roof at the Vienna Metro station (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Suspect in Mount Vernon Fatal Shooting Arrested — Fairfax County police arrested Kyjuan Omar…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.