The South Lakes Seahawks will be well-represented at the conference championship next month after performances in recent days.
At the Northern Virginia Invitational, April 7-8, the following team members hit qualifying marks for postseason competition:
- 400 meters: John Eggeman (junior)
- 3,200 meters: Marissa Banga (freshman), Sean Casey (junior), Isabelle Gulgert (sophomore) and Peter Sepulveda (senior)
- 300-meter hurdles: Abby Wickman (senior)
- discus: Jamie Richard (junior)
- pole vault: Megan Allison (junior) and Abby Wickman (senior)
- shot put: Madie Evans (junior) and Jessica Rice (senior)
Participating at the Arcadia Invitational in California, the sprint medley relay team — Hannah Waller (freshman), Cara Hutson (sophomore), Olivia Beckner (junior) and Devyn Jones (senior) — set a school-record time of 4 minutes, 6.84 seconds. Jones also hit state-qualifying times in the 100-meter and 300-meter hurdles. Waller did so in 100 and 200 meters.
Also in California, Timiebi Ogobri (senior) ran a state-qualifying time in the 100 meters; while Sophie Halkett (sophomore) and Alex Loukili (junior) both qualified in the 800 meters.
At their final event during spring break, last Thursday, more SLHS athletes qualified at the Leslie Sherman Memorial Invitational.
- 200 meters: Timiebi Ogobri (senior)
- 400 meters: Timiebi Ogobri (senior)
- 800 meters: Olivia Beckner (junior) and Alex Loukili (junior)
- 4×100-meter relay: Devyn Jones (senior), Hannah Waller (freshman), Danielle Spears (sophomore) and Rhema Konadu (freshman)
- 4×800-meter relay: Peter Sepulveda (senior), Sean Casey (junior), Alex Loukili (junior) and Jack Watkins (senior)
- discus: Jamie Richards (junior)
- shot put: Ronak Cuthill (junior)
The Seahawks next compete in a conference meet Wednesday at Langley High School, followed by the Hall of Fame Invitational at Lake Braddock Secondary School in Burke on Friday and Saturday.
Image of Devyn Jones, Hannah Waller, Cara Hutson and Olivia Beckner at Arcadia Invitational, courtesy South Lakes High School track and field
An illustration of a coronavirus (via CDC/Unsplash) After seeing COVID-19 cases climb throughout August, Fairfax County seems to be finishing September at a plateau in the Delta variant-driven surge that…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA condo with a one-car garage and a clubhouse with a fitness center and pool was recently listed for rent in Reston.
A former youth minister at a Reston church faces multiple charges related to the unlawful filming of a minor. Douglas Johnson worked as a youth minister at St. John Neumann…
Tuesday, September 28 Health and Wellness Fair (5:30-7:30 p.m.) — The YMCA Fairfax County Reston is hosting this Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce Network Night that features healthy snacks, alcohol…