Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kickoff of summer, and what better way to enjoy it than with a picnic?
The Lake Anne Plaza Memorial Day Picnic is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Bring your picnic blanket and patriot pride and enjoy live music on the plaza. There will be food available for purchase from local vendors and plaza restaurants, as well as boat rentals and family games.
“We are positioning this event similar to a ‘National Day Out’ setup where folks come bring a picnic, or a bite, listen to music, do some plaza games like cornhole, etc.,” said Maurisa Potts, Lake Anne Plaza spokesperson. “[We’re] just building a sense of community and a platform to get to know their neighbors.”
There are dozens of other activities going on around the Reston area this holiday weekend, from music to celebrations. Here are some of the highlights.
- All of Reston’s pools open for the season Saturday, as does The Water Mine Family Swimmin’ Hole (1400 Lake Fairfax Drive).
- Live music at Reston Town Center this weekend will include a performance from 6-10 p.m. tonight at Tavern64 (1800 Presidents St.) and both tonight and Saturday from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. at Crafthouse (1888 Explorer St.).
- The premiere of the weekly Mr. Knick Knack! concerts happens this Monday at Reston Town Center. Starting at 11:15 a.m., the children’s music concert is free to the public.
- Tonight at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. the Ravel Dance Company will put on a ballet version of “Cinderella” on the CenterStage in the Reston Community Center (2310 Colts Neck Road). Tickets are $20 at the door.
- The Reston Farmers Market will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Lake Anne Village Center.
- Lake Anne is also hosting Sunday Yoga on the Plaza each week, at 9:30 a.m.
- Walker Nature Center (11450 Glade Drive) will screen award-winning film “Can You Dig This?” tonight at 7 p.m.; Sunday, from 1:30-3 p.m., the nature center is hosting a salamander search.
- Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern (697 Spring St., Herndon) will host its 20th Annual Birthday Bash and Bike Run on both Sunday and Monday. Starting Sunday, live music will be performed indoors and outdoors throughout the day from various local bands. Monday morning, motorcyclists from around the area are invited to join a communal ride through George Washington Parkway, Crystal City and Alexandria.
- The Reston Choir will honor veterans with a Star-Spangled Salute at Reston Town Center tonight from 7-11 p.m. The performance will include family activities and an opportunity to honor the troops. The event is free with a recommended donation that will go toward providing care packages to troops overseas.
- Exercise with Athleta this Sunday at 11 a.m. in the Reston Town Center pavilion. The POUND class, hosted by Kathy from StudioPinkFit, is free to the public.
- Oakton Library (10304 Lynnhaven Place, Oakton) will host a Chinese Dance exhibition on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. that features tradition Chinese and Taiwanese dances. The event is free and hosted by the Fairfax Chinese Dance Troupe.
- “Radcliffe Bailey: The Great Dismal Swamp” remains on display at Greater Reston Arts Center (12001 Market St.) through August.
- Hosted by the Reston Masters Swim team, this Sunday will be the 30th Annual Jim McDonnell Lake Swim. Swimmers will have the option of a one- or two-mile swim around Lake Audubon.
- Kalypso’s (1617 Washington Plaza N.) will have live music tonight, 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., from Throwing Plates. DJ Kram will play Top 40 hits Saturday night.
- Vinafera Wine Bar and Bistro (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive) has live music from 7-10 p.m. every Friday and Saturday night.
Dawn at Lake Thoreau in Reston (photo by Terry Baranski) Woman Charged in Bailey’s Crossroads Pedestrian Crash — Yaraliza Rivera Rosado, a 26-year-old Alexandria resident, has been charged with felony…
Sully’s Pour House in Herndon (via Google Maps) The owners of Sully’s Pour House, a gastropub in the Town of Herndon, is disappointed over the handling of prosecution against a…
Jimmy Bierman is running for the seat of Dranesville District supervisor (courtesy Stephen Barrett and Moore Campaigns) The Dranesville District seat on the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors has its…
Reston Association board member Glenn Small resigned late last month (courtesy RA) Reston Association is seeking to fill a vacancy created by the resignation of board member Glenn Small. In…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.