Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kickoff of summer, and what better way to enjoy it than with a picnic?
The Lake Anne Plaza Memorial Day Picnic is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Bring your picnic blanket and patriot pride and enjoy live music on the plaza. There will be food available for purchase from local vendors and plaza restaurants, as well as boat rentals and family games.
“We are positioning this event similar to a ‘National Day Out’ setup where folks come bring a picnic, or a bite, listen to music, do some plaza games like cornhole, etc.,” said Maurisa Potts, Lake Anne Plaza spokesperson. “[We’re] just building a sense of community and a platform to get to know their neighbors.”
There are dozens of other activities going on around the Reston area this holiday weekend, from music to celebrations. Here are some of the highlights.
- All of Reston’s pools open for the season Saturday, as does The Water Mine Family Swimmin’ Hole (1400 Lake Fairfax Drive).
- Live music at Reston Town Center this weekend will include a performance from 6-10 p.m. tonight at Tavern64 (1800 Presidents St.) and both tonight and Saturday from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. at Crafthouse (1888 Explorer St.).
- The premiere of the weekly Mr. Knick Knack! concerts happens this Monday at Reston Town Center. Starting at 11:15 a.m., the children’s music concert is free to the public.
- Tonight at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. the Ravel Dance Company will put on a ballet version of “Cinderella” on the CenterStage in the Reston Community Center (2310 Colts Neck Road). Tickets are $20 at the door.
- The Reston Farmers Market will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Lake Anne Village Center.
- Lake Anne is also hosting Sunday Yoga on the Plaza each week, at 9:30 a.m.
- Walker Nature Center (11450 Glade Drive) will screen award-winning film “Can You Dig This?” tonight at 7 p.m.; Sunday, from 1:30-3 p.m., the nature center is hosting a salamander search.
- Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern (697 Spring St., Herndon) will host its 20th Annual Birthday Bash and Bike Run on both Sunday and Monday. Starting Sunday, live music will be performed indoors and outdoors throughout the day from various local bands. Monday morning, motorcyclists from around the area are invited to join a communal ride through George Washington Parkway, Crystal City and Alexandria.
- The Reston Choir will honor veterans with a Star-Spangled Salute at Reston Town Center tonight from 7-11 p.m. The performance will include family activities and an opportunity to honor the troops. The event is free with a recommended donation that will go toward providing care packages to troops overseas.
- Exercise with Athleta this Sunday at 11 a.m. in the Reston Town Center pavilion. The POUND class, hosted by Kathy from StudioPinkFit, is free to the public.
- Oakton Library (10304 Lynnhaven Place, Oakton) will host a Chinese Dance exhibition on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. that features tradition Chinese and Taiwanese dances. The event is free and hosted by the Fairfax Chinese Dance Troupe.
- “Radcliffe Bailey: The Great Dismal Swamp” remains on display at Greater Reston Arts Center (12001 Market St.) through August.
- Hosted by the Reston Masters Swim team, this Sunday will be the 30th Annual Jim McDonnell Lake Swim. Swimmers will have the option of a one- or two-mile swim around Lake Audubon.
- Kalypso’s (1617 Washington Plaza N.) will have live music tonight, 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., from Throwing Plates. DJ Kram will play Top 40 hits Saturday night.
- Vinafera Wine Bar and Bistro (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive) has live music from 7-10 p.m. every Friday and Saturday night.
Driver Charged in Crash that Killed Reston Woman — Police have charged a Manassas man with driving under the influence and involuntary manslaughter in connection with a car crash that…
Amid a holiday weekend helping to commemorate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., here are the top stories on Reston Now this week. Police: Prisoner with life sentence confesses…
A Chinese restaurant that’s been at a Reston-area shopping plaza for 17 years is closing next month. Hunan East Restaurant told Reston Now that the permanent shuttering is due to…
Pedro Benedito Chimo Mandriz (Courtesy) When Pedro Benedito Chimo Mandriz’s family returned to their home country of Angola, he stayed in the U.S. to pursue his dream of running his…