Last year, the Seahawks went 9-1 in the regular season before knocking off Oakton, Centreville and top-ranked Lake Braddock in a spirited Region 6A playoff run. Their year came to an end with a loss to Westfield in the state semifinals.
This year, the Seahawks return nearly all of their skill players as they aim toward another deep playoff run. According to UltimateRecruit.com, top players for SLHS going into this season include:
- QB Devin Miles
- RB Spencer Alston
- RB Albert Mensah
- WR Michael Riche
- WR Dave Hagengimana
- WR Chris Ezidinma
- C/DT Jacob McCarty
- OT Eric Walter
- OT/LB Chris Logan
- G/DT Spencer Coppage
- G Tim Brown
- TE/DE Noah Seneca
- LB Sage Beuchert-Irvine
- CB Eddie Mohler
- CB Diego White
- DB Kojo Kumi
- FS Joseph Dagbe
On special teams, the Seahawks bring back punter Evan Matthes and kicker Kahlil Dover.
Key losses for the team are headlined by lineman David Kroll, who will be playing collegiately at the University of Delaware this season. The UltimateRecruit.com article also lists 2017 graduate FS/WR Andrew Funaki as a major loss to the roster.
In its 2017 pre-season rankings, the Washington Post ranks SLHS as the No. 8 team in the DC Metro region. Only one Virginia team (Stone Bridge, No. 7, who plays in Region 5A) is ranked above the Seahawks.
The full 2017 South Lakes football schedule is listed below (home games in bold):
- Friday, Aug. 25, 7 p.m.: at Woodson
- Friday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.: at Falls Church
- Friday, Sept. 8, 7 p.m.: at Oakton
- Friday, Sept. 15, 7 p.m.: vs. Dominion
- Friday, Sept. 22, 7 p.m.: vs. Centreville
- Friday, Oct. 6, 7 p.m.: vs. Langley (homecoming)
- Friday, Oct. 13, 7 p.m.: at Washington-Lee
- Friday, Oct. 20, 7 p.m.: vs. McLean
- Friday, Oct. 27, 7 p.m.: at Yorktown
- Friday, Nov. 3, 7 p.m.: vs. Herndon