Editor’s Note: This is just a limited list of all the events taking place in the Reston area this weekend. If you have an event you would like to ensure is listed on the website, be sure to submit it to our Events Calendar.
- Children between ages 3 and 5 can dabble in the joy of nature through the Walker Nature Center’s “Nutty for Nuts” program on Saturday from 10:30 – 11:30 p.m. at the center. Staff will guide participants through hikes, craft projects and other activities. Parents and caregivers must supervise their children. Tickets start at $6.
- Need to jumpstart Christmas shopping? Check out the 1st Baptist Church of Herndon’s sale at The Closet (681 Elden St.), a non-profit thrift shop that was founded in 1974. The sale takes place on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Author Melissa Scholes Young will hold a book reading and signing featuring her book “Flood” on Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m at Scrawl Books (11862 Market St.). The book, which is set in Mark Twain’s neighborhood town.
- Experience “All-American All the Way,” a free patriotic concert at the Hunters Woods Community Center on 2310 Colts Neck Road on Saturday from 4 to 5 p.m. The concert will include military hymns and will conclude with an appreciation reception.
- Dive into fall with a harvest-themed wagon ride at Frying Pan Farm Park. The event will include hot cocoa and s’mores around a campfire. Programs begin at 4, 5 and 6 p.m. The cost is $10 and a registered adult must accompany children. Call 703-437-9101 for more information.
- The Reston Farmers Market will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Lake Anne Village Center.
- The Reston Community Players’ 2017-18 season continues their presentation of Elton John and Tim Rice’s musical “Aida.” The show, winner of four Tony Awards, will be performed through Saturday at Reston Community Center’s CenterStage (2310 Colts Neck Road). This weekend, the show is being performed at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights, and at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets are $27, with student/senior tickets available for $23.
- Dancers of all skills levels can participate in an afternoon of dance at the Reston Community Center on Sunday between 2:30 and 4:30 p.m. The program will include three mini-lessons, door prizes and light refreshments. Dance partners are not required, but you have to be at least 18 years old to participate. The cost if $5 for Reston-residents and $10 for all others.
- Bird lovers are invited to search for birds in this Bird Walk at the Lower Grade Stream Valley on Sunday from 7:30 – 10:30 a.m. Participants will meet near Glade Drive and Twin Branches Road. No registration is required for this adults-only activity. Walks are sponsored by the Audubon Society of Northern Virginia and The Bird Feeder store.
- Learn about the years spanning between World War I and World War II during Dr. Harry Butowsky’s six-part part lecture series at the Reston Regional Library from 2 – 4 p.m. on Sunday.
- The exhibit, Reston: The Art of Community, will continue at the Reston Museum (1639 Washington Plaza) this weekend. Produced by Public Art Reston in collaboration with the Reston Historic Trust & Museum, the display showcases the legacy of public art in Reston. The exhibition will be on display through Nov. 26.
The weekend is almost here. Before you crank up the air-conditioning, or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in Fairfax County. Here are…
The proposed redevelopment of an aging Residence Inn in the Town of Herndon is barreling toward a final approval before the Herndon Town Council this month. The property owner, identified…
Clyde’s of Reston, an American bar and restaurant, will permanently close its doors tomorrow, ending 31 years of business in Reston Town Center. But even as it auctions off iconic…
A Japanese maple tree on Church Street in Vienna (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Heat Raises Risk for Outdoor Activities — “The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a special weather statement…