Each year, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation assesses lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer inclusion in major companies and law firms across the country.
In this year’s Corporate Equality Index, a tool used for 15 years, the organization found a record number of companies are “advancing vital policies” to protect LGBTQ workers around the world, including several in Reston. The foundation is the largest LGBT civil rights advocacy group and lobbying organization.
In a new record, 609 businesses received the top score of 100, up by 18 percent over last year. 947 businesses and firms were rated during the assessment. In Virginia, the average score of the 32 companies ranked was 87 percent. 19 received 100 points, 21 received 90 points and above, and 26 received 80 points and above.
The following companies in Reston were rated:
- Leidos Holdings: 100 percent
- Rolls-Royce North America (USA) Holdings Co.: 100 percent
- Science Applications International Corp.: 85 percent
- Software AG USA Inc.: 60 percent
Each firm was rated across the following categories, according to the release:
- Non-discrimination policies
- Employment benefits
- Demonstrated organizational competency and accountability around LGBTQ diversity and inclusion
- Public commitment to LGBTQ equality
- Responsible citizenship
For the complete assessment, visit the foundation’s website.
Photo via the Human Rights Campaign Foundation