Waiting for a Cyber Monday order? The Fairfax County Police Department has issued several tips to protect delivered orders from “package pirates.”
“Those packages from Cyber Monday sales are starting to show up on doorsteps and we want to ensure the Grinch doesn’t steal your gifts. Unfortunately, this type of crime does happen in our community and we are offering these tips to ensure package safety this holiday season,” according to the police department.
The department suggested the following tips:
- Sign up for delivery alerts to know when the items are delivered.
- Don’t leave delivered packages unattended. Ask a neighbor to keep an eye out for the packages and offer the same in return.
- Require a signature delivery for packages you ship to friends and family.
- Set up alternative delivery options. Check your delivery service’s website for details.
- Many retailers allow you to purchase items online and pick up in store or at a locker, where they’ll be safe until you can pick them up.
- See if it’s possible to have packages delivered to your workplace for the holiday season.
- Going out of town? Hold your mail and packages.
- Keep an eye out for suspicious people and vehicles in your neighborhood. Don’t be afraid to call the non-emergency number!
- Package theft is not just an issue around the holidays, it occurs throughout the year. Consider investing in an exterior security system.
FCPD encourages individuals to call the police department on its non-emergency number at 703-691-2131 to provide any information about suspicious people or vehicles.