According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than 200 homes fires each year begin with a Christmas tree.
NPFA provides the following tips to avoid Christmas tree and decoration fires:
- Cut the two-inch base from the trunk before placing it on the stand.
- Keep the tree at least three feet away from all heat sources.
- Ensure the tree does not block any exists.
- Add water to the tree stand daily.
- Use lights labeled with an independent testing laboratory.
- Replace the string of lights with worn or broken cords.
- Turn off Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving home.
- Remove the tree after Christmas. Do not leave trees in the home, garage, or directly outside the home.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology released the following video detailing the dangers of an unwatered tree: