Updated: Lockdown Lifted at Three Reston Schools After Police Investigate Report of Student with a Gun

by Fatimah Waseem March 9, 2018 at 1:20 pm 11 Comments

A lockdown at South Lakes High School, Terraset Elementary School and Langston Hughes Middle School around 12:40 p.m.was lifted earlier today, according to a Fairfax County Public Schools spokeswoman.

Local police receive a report that a student with a gun was at South Lakes High School this afternoon. Police said the report was false and lifted the lockdown around 1:13 p.m.

School officials said the situation was resolved in a peaceful and quick manner.

Hughes Middle School’s lockdown, which went into effect around 1 p.m., was lifted at 1:12 p.m. All classes resumed as normal by 1:25 p.m., according to the school’s principal, Aimee Monticchio.

“Staff and students did a great job responding to a very delicate situation,” Monticchio said.

Some parents said the school system did not inform parents and guardians of the lockdown quickly enough.

Parents at South Lakes High School, where the lockdown occurred for 27 minutes, received an email about the three lockdowns at 1:21 p.m.

Here’s more information from social media:

This story has been updated.

  • Mike M

    So, . . . whence the false report?

  • Scout

    oh boy – the little boy who called wolf – ? New problem

  • Rational Reston

    Not sure I understand the complaints of parents being informed quickly enough. I received an email at 115PM. If they started the lockdown at 1240, I want the school to concentrate on actually locking down the facilities and ensuring student safety before sending out messages (which may be received by those seeking to do harm).

    Yes, half an hour seems like a long time in our insta-gratification society, but considering the logistics involved, it is not a long time.

    • Arielle in NoVA

      Considering how quickly events have unfolded in real-danger lockdown situations, they need to inform the parents right away that there’s something going on at the school.

      • DT

        Yeah because the school should write to the parents first, before calling the emergency services

        • OneReally

          Amen! I was perfectly fine with the school communication. Ensure the kids and staff are safe first.

          And yes I had kids in the school.

      • Reston Realist

        why? so the parents can all get in their cars and race down there and create more chaos?

    • John Higgins

      Your comments mirror my initial thought when I read this, especially the image of parents, racing to the scene and just getting in the way. But on a day’s reflection, I see room for improvement. On-site staff clearly ought to have other priorities. But the lock-down decision is promptly reported to FCPD/911 and likely to FCPS. Doesn’t sound too difficult to have someone in those chains (not immediately involved in response) send the alert that finally went out at 1:15. If that’s part of an action plan, it might be useful. Especially if the message promised timely follow-up and instructions to not approach the site “at this time”.

      • David Jo

        Maybe it was a prank?

    • Kristen

      Agree! First priority is actually complete the lockdown, secure premises, contact authorities. After that, deal with informing parents (written as a parent of a child who is in this pyramid!!). If that means a 30 minute delay (or more), so be it.

    • Samantha

      To be fair with your point, it’s only 30 minutes, but people were complaining that students were texting their parents after the lock down had been lifted. Parents did not know what was happening and whether or not their children were safe.


Subscribe to our mailing list