The “secure the building” status has been lifted at both schools, according to an alert issued at 4:09 p.m.
Dismissal has been delayed at Terraset Elementary School and South Lakes High School as both schools enter into “secure the building” status.
“All students and staff are safe and free to move around the building, however we cannot let people in or out at this time,” according to Terraset Elementary School’s Facebook page.
“Secure the building” alerts are issued in the following circumstances, according to the Fairfax County Public Schools’ website.
Used if the danger is outside the building, e.g., a robbery near the school.
- No students allowed outside of buildings and trailers (no P.E., recess, etc.).
- All building and trailer exterior doors are closed and locked.
- People in locked trailers remain in locked trailers.
- Staff members and students are free to move about inside buildings and trailers.
- Staff member posted at building main entrance to control visitor access, issue passes, and direct to reunification area, if necessary.
SLHS is currently in a Secure the Building status. Anyone in the building at this time is to remain here until further notice. We will send more details out as soon as they are available.
— southlakesseahawks (@southlakeshs) June 11, 2018
This story has been updated.