Fairfax County Fire and Rescue wants to educate locals on how to prevent hoverboards issues after an overcharged hoverboard battery caused a Herndon house fire last week.
Firefighters responded to the reported fire in the 2600 block of Meadow Hall Drive around 12:33 a.m. last Wednesday (Jan. 2.).
The fire was out upon the fire department’s arrival, causing roughly $1,000 in damages, according to the fire department.
Fire investigators determined that the fire started by accident in the home’s basement after a third party replacement charging adapter overcharged the battery.
The fire department published a video today (Jan. 11) by Captain Tim Palmer, who provides steps hoverboard owners can take to prevent a fire like the one from last week.
“The fire occurred overnight, and fortunately for the occupants a working smoke alarm sounded near the hoverboard and awake them, allowing them to evacuate the home,” Palmer said about the Jan. 2 fire.
Palmer suggested that owners contact the manufacturer for an approved replacement if the hoverboard’s original charger becomes damaged, worn out or lost. “We also suggest never charge your overboard or device when you are not present or overnight when you can’t monitor the device being charged,” Palmer said.
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. There are so many fun things…
This biweekly column is sponsored by The Mather in Tysons, Virginia, a forward-thinking Life Plan Community for those 62 and better. November — a month containing both Veterans Day and Thanksgiving…
The annual exhibit returns to Reston in early December (courtesy RCC) Reston Community Center will host its 24th annual gifts and shopping exhibit in early December. The Gifts from the…
Curative will operate COVID-19 testing mobile labs at six sites in Fairfax County (courtesy Fairfax County Health Department) Curative is set to shut down all of its public COVID-19 testing…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.