Fairfax County Fire and Rescue wants to educate locals on how to prevent hoverboards issues after an overcharged hoverboard battery caused a Herndon house fire last week.
Firefighters responded to the reported fire in the 2600 block of Meadow Hall Drive around 12:33 a.m. last Wednesday (Jan. 2.).
The fire was out upon the fire department’s arrival, causing roughly $1,000 in damages, according to the fire department.
Fire investigators determined that the fire started by accident in the home’s basement after a third party replacement charging adapter overcharged the battery.
The fire department published a video today (Jan. 11) by Captain Tim Palmer, who provides steps hoverboard owners can take to prevent a fire like the one from last week.
“The fire occurred overnight, and fortunately for the occupants a working smoke alarm sounded near the hoverboard and awake them, allowing them to evacuate the home,” Palmer said about the Jan. 2 fire.
Palmer suggested that owners contact the manufacturer for an approved replacement if the hoverboard’s original charger becomes damaged, worn out or lost. “We also suggest never charge your overboard or device when you are not present or overnight when you can’t monitor the device being charged,” Palmer said.
Planning for new arts center at Reston Next begins The county is officially courting feedback on the feasibility of a proposed arts center at Boston Properties’ Reston Next development….
Help Sought in Identifying Person of Interest — The Herndon Police Department is asking the public’s help to identify a person of interest in a robbery that happened on Jan….
A project to improve access from neighborhoods to the yet-to-open Innovation Center Metro station could begin in the summer of 2024 and be completed a year later. That’s what Sonia…
With a second week of consistently declining cases, Fairfax County’s current, omicron variant-fueled Covid wave has receded closer to the levels seen last winter. The Fairfax Health District, including the…