Local fire and rescue crews were on the scene of a gas leak in Reston earlier this week.
A gas leak occurred on the 12100 block of Sunset Hills Road around a little before 10 p.m. this past Tuesday (July 9).
Hazmat crews opted to flare a tank — a technique that burns gas in the tank to reduce volume or lower internal pressure.
A spokesperson for the Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department told Reston Now that only the pressure relief valve was damaged.
“No buildings were evacuated as everything was under control,” the spokesperson said.
Last night, units on scene of gas leak in 12100 block Sunset Hills Rd, Reston. Underground 1000-gal propane tank leaking from pressure relief valve. Haz Mat opted to flare tank. Flaring is controlled burn of gas in tank to reduce volume or lower internal pressure to render safe. pic.twitter.com/USpKkBkz17
— Fairfax Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) July 10, 2019
Before we head into a weekend, let’s take a look back at the biggest stories on the site in recent days. Reston Vietnam vet discovers his old helicopter at Smithsonian…
Despite a few days’ delay, Red Velvet Bakery and Little Beast Bistro are now set to open at Reston Town Center West on Saturday (September 18). Initially planning to open…
A solar energy-powered lamp post (via Sandra Parra/Unsplash) Fairfax County has committed to becoming carbon-neutral by 2050, and now, it has a plan to achieve that goal. The Fairfax County…
A furnished 1 BD/1 BA condo was recently listed for rent. The renovated unit comes with assigned garage parking.