The Reston Historic Trust & Museum’s annual home tour offers residents a chance for a self-guided tour of five private homes. The tour, which runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., also includes a look at VY/Reston Heights and Hunters Woods at Trails Edge, a new retirement community. Registration is open online. Tickets can also be purchased at the museum, Wine Cabinet, Chesapeake Chocolates, and the Greater Reston Arts Center.
A word of advice for those taking part: Roadwork is being done on Reston Parkway, requiring a quick detour. The parkway is open between Wiehle Avenue and Round Pebble lain for local traffic only.
- Diwali Cultural Fair (10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) — Celebrate the Hindu festival of lights with games, music, food, craft and other activities at Reston Regional Library.
- Reston Newcomers’ Bus Tour (10 a.m. to noon) — Newcomers to Reston are welcome to take part in an open house and bus tour organized by the Reston Association. More information about the tour is available online.
- Book Launch Party (3 p.m.) — Author MK Meredith comes to Scrawl Books for a launch party and a discussion on her new book, “Not Your Usual Boob: The Good, Bad and Wonky of Breast Cancer.” All proceeds from book sales will benefit Runway for the Cure.
- Runway to the Cure (6 p.m.) — The fashion show kicks off at Reston Town Center — with all proceeds benefitting breast cancer research and local women fighting breast cancer. A donation of $25 is suggested.
Sunday (Oct. 20)
- Chess Club for Kids (2-3 p.m.) — Learn openings, tactics and end-game strategies at the club, which is open kids of all ages at Reston Regional Library.
- History of World War II (2-4 p.m.). — Dr. Harry Butowsky of George Mason University continues his six-part lecture series at Reston Regional Library.
Photo courtesy Charlotte Geary Photography