The Reston Historic Trust & Museum’s annual home tour offers residents a chance for a self-guided tour of five private homes. The tour, which runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., also includes a look at VY/Reston Heights and Hunters Woods at Trails Edge, a new retirement community. Registration is open online. Tickets can also be purchased at the museum, Wine Cabinet, Chesapeake Chocolates, and the Greater Reston Arts Center.
A word of advice for those taking part: Roadwork is being done on Reston Parkway, requiring a quick detour. The parkway is open between Wiehle Avenue and Round Pebble lain for local traffic only.
- Diwali Cultural Fair (10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) — Celebrate the Hindu festival of lights with games, music, food, craft and other activities at Reston Regional Library.
- Reston Newcomers’ Bus Tour (10 a.m. to noon) — Newcomers to Reston are welcome to take part in an open house and bus tour organized by the Reston Association. More information about the tour is available online.
- Book Launch Party (3 p.m.) — Author MK Meredith comes to Scrawl Books for a launch party and a discussion on her new book, “Not Your Usual Boob: The Good, Bad and Wonky of Breast Cancer.” All proceeds from book sales will benefit Runway for the Cure.
- Runway to the Cure (6 p.m.) — The fashion show kicks off at Reston Town Center — with all proceeds benefitting breast cancer research and local women fighting breast cancer. A donation of $25 is suggested.
Sunday (Oct. 20)
- Chess Club for Kids (2-3 p.m.) — Learn openings, tactics and end-game strategies at the club, which is open kids of all ages at Reston Regional Library.
- History of World War II (2-4 p.m.). — Dr. Harry Butowsky of George Mason University continues his six-part lecture series at Reston Regional Library.
Photo courtesy Charlotte Geary Photography
The weekend is almost here. Before you try to process the end of the Roe v. Wade era or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past…
A new Chinese restaurant is opening soon at Lake Anne Plaza. Big Wonton, a Chinese restaurant that already has another delivery concept in Reston, will take up space at 14438…
The U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade today (Friday) in a landmark decision that will effectively ban abortion in more than a dozen states. Abortion remains legal in Virginia,…
A trio of candidates is seeking the position of mayor for the Town of Herndon, typically a non-competitive race. Councilmembers Sean Regan and Jasbinder Singh are running against current Mayor…