Herndon Home Fire Caused by Improperly Discarded Fire Pit Ashes

Five family members are displaced after a fire engulfed their home on the 1100 block of Silver Beech Road in Herndon.

The fire, which caused $784,550 in damages, was caused by the improper disposal of fire pit ashes, according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

Officials believe the fire started on the deck near an outdoor fire pit. The family was at home when the fire broke out at around 2:30 a.m. on Monday (Dec.  9).

The fire spread throughout the come and caused a partial collapse of the roof. No injuries were reported.

Photos via Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department

Recent Stories

Owners of six Woofie’s franchises in Northern Virginia are hosting a “Paws in the Park” pet adoption event tomorrow (Saturday) at Wolf Trap National Park. Participating Woofie’s include Reston/Herndon, Ashburn-Leesburg,…

A Fairfax Connector bus to Tysons (staff photo by James Jarvis) The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) has the green light to apply for a federal grant to replace…

Morning Notes

The splash pad at the Mosaic District in Merrifield has been turned on (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Congress Approves More National Airport Flights — “More long-haul flights are coming…

Fairfax County’s annual Summer Entertainment Series will kick off on June 1 (via Fairfax County Park Authority/Twitter) The Fairfax County Park Authority has composed a slate of summer shows, including…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list