Fire Set Off by Fireworks in Herndon House

Improperly discarded fireworks caused nearly $80,000 in damages to a Herndon home on Sunday (June 13). 

No injuries were reported at the home on the 13100 block of Rounding Run Circle.

According to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, the fire started in the garage where fireworks were improperly discarded.

The fire department is encouraging residents to dispose fireworks using the same procedure for fireplace ashes. Fireworks should be placed in a metal container, doused with water, and covered with a metal lid away from the house. 

Four residents, who were home at the time, were displaced due to the incident. The fire was largely limited to the attached garage.

This is the second fire this year caused by improper disposal of fireworks.

Photos via FCFRD

Recent Stories

Owners of six Woofie’s franchises in Northern Virginia are hosting a “Paws in the Park” pet adoption event tomorrow (Saturday) at Wolf Trap National Park. Participating Woofie’s include Reston/Herndon, Ashburn-Leesburg,…

A Fairfax Connector bus to Tysons (staff photo by James Jarvis) The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) has the green light to apply for a federal grant to replace…

Morning Notes

The splash pad at the Mosaic District in Merrifield has been turned on (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Congress Approves More National Airport Flights — “More long-haul flights are coming…

Fairfax County’s annual Summer Entertainment Series will kick off on June 1 (via Fairfax County Park Authority/Twitter) The Fairfax County Park Authority has composed a slate of summer shows, including…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list