Monday, Feb. 8
- Have a Heart (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.) – Give a heart to all of your Valentine’s. Using wet felt techniques (and no needles) create and decorate a heart as you see fit. Hosted at Sully Historic Site, the program is 30 minutes and can accommodate up to four people within the same family.
Tuesday, Feb. 9
- Indian Desserts, No-Bake (2:00 p.m.) – Join for a virtual demonstration on how to make popular easy, no-bake Indian desserts. Hosted by the Kings Park Regional Library in Burke, the event is designed for adults and teens.
Wednesday, Feb. 10
- Before 1964: The History of Reston’s Predecessors (7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.) – Travel back in time to learn about Reston before there was a Reston. Join the Reston Historic Trust & Museum to discover the origins of names like Baron Cameron, Wiehle, and Bowman.
Thursday, Feb. 11
- Crash Test Dummies (4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.) – Get a behind-the-scenes virtual tour of the non-profit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety‘s Vehicle Research Center. Crash test engineer Becky Mueller is the guide, explaining the importance of the institute, introducing crash test dummies, and running a real crash test.
Friday, Feb. 12
- Date Lab Comes To Life (5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) – The popular Washington Post Magazine Date Lab column is coming to virtual life. Presented with the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Date Lab writers and editors are discussing what it’s like to date during the pandemic. Plus, there’s a Q & A with a successfully matched Date Lab pair.
Saturday, Feb. 13
- Afternoon with Culinary Historian Michael W. Twitty (3:00 p.m.) – Hear from famed author and historian Michael Twitty, who’s most known for tracing his culinary ancestry from Africa to America. The talk takes place at the Reston Community Center, but with very limited seating available and masks required.
- Starting with Seeds (10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.) – Learn to grow your garden from seeds by heading out to Alexandra’s Green Spring Gardens. Staff member Susan Eggert will walk attendees through potting mixes, containers, seed treatments, lighting, fertilization, watering, sources, and timing. At the end, all will get a few seeds to take home and try themselves. Limited tickets available and masks required.
Sunday, Feb. 14
- Galentine’s Day Cycling (10:30 a.m.) – New Trail Cycling and Fitness Studio is hosting a fitness class and “virtual shop party” with local, women-owned businesses to celebrate Galentine’s Day (a holiday celebrating female friendships created by the show Parks & Recreation). 100% of ticket sales goes to Shelter House, a local non-profit dedicated to helping victims of domestic abuse.
Photo via kaboompics/Pixabay
FCPS is ramping up efforts to provide on-site testing and prepare for vaccinations for elementary school-aged kids, including by enlisting a third party that hasn’t been publicly identified yet. Although…
An illustration of a coronavirus (via CDC/Unsplash) After seeing COVID-19 cases climb throughout August, Fairfax County seems to be finishing September at a plateau in the Delta variant-driven surge that…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA condo with a one-car garage and a clubhouse with a fitness center and pool was recently listed for rent in Reston.
A former youth minister at a Reston church faces multiple charges related to the unlawful filming of a minor. Douglas Johnson worked as a youth minister at St. John Neumann…