Firing up some love for Reston Olympian Maame Biney – Fire Station 39 in North Point is showing Biney, a short-track speed skater, some love on their entrance sign. She advanced to the 500-meter Olympics quarterfinal over the weekend. [Fairfax County Fire Department]
Class on Insight Meditation and Mindfulness Practices Today — Steady your mind with this guided class on insight meditation, an art that aims to cultivate natural wisdom and compassion. The class will take place atUnitarian Universalist Church in Reston (1625 Wiehle Avenue) from 7:30-8:45 p.m. Newcomers are welcome and registration is free.
If you’re feeling adventurous – Reston’s Tropical Smoothie Cafe is offering a “red hot love” smoothie in celebration of Valentine’s Day through Wednesday. We’re told it’s a mix of green apple, white chocolate and cinnamon candies. [Tropical Smoothie Cafe]
Valentine’s Day is just a little over a week away. If you haven’t already, you’ll want to make your dinner reservations soon, before the restaurants fill up and you’re left in the doghouse.
Here is just a sampling of some of the specials being offered by eateries around Reston:
- American Tap Room (1811 Library St.) will offer a three-course dinner (2 entrees, 1 appetizer, 1 dessert) with a bottle of wine and a rose for $70, tax and gratuity not included.
- Big Bowl (11915 Democracy Drive) is offering a special three-course Valentine’s Menu for Two from Friday, Feb. 10 to Tuesday, Feb. 14 for $44.95 per couple, not including beverages, tax or gratuity.
- Il Fornaio (11990 Market St.) will be offering its regular dinner menu along with a regional menu inspired by the region of Umbria, the birthplace of St. Valentine.
- Kalypso’s Sports Tavern (1617 Washington Plaza N.) will offer music by Tula from 6-9 p.m.
- McCormick & Schmick’s (11920 Democracy Drive) will have Valentine’s specials all weekend.
- The Melting Pot (11730 Plaza America Drive) is offering a four-course prix fixe menu on Valentine’s Day. Cost is $80 per person, which includes all four courses and a complimentary champange toast.
- Mon Ami Gabi (11950 Democracy Drive) offers more than 80 boutique French wine varietals that complement its menu of classic French dishes.
- Morton’s The Steakhouse (11956 Market St.) is welcoming Valentine’s Day celebrants to enjoy their steak dinner.
- Passion Fish (11960 Democracy Drive) will be offering a three-course dinner with a price range of $60-$90, depending on entree selection.
- Tavern64 (1800 Presidents St.) is offering a Valentine’s Day “Duet Menu” for $55 per person. Details are available on the restaurant’s Facebook page.
- Uncle Julio’s (1827 Library St.) will offer chocolate pinatas, filled with fresh fruit and house-made mini-churros. They are served with a trio of raspberry, chocolate and caramel sauces and homemade whipped cream.
- Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive) is featuring a $50 tasting menu with a wine pairing. The meal begins with an offering of baby red Russian kale salad, followed by house-cured Wester Ross organic salmon and grilled rack of lamb, and ending with dessert of pomegranate mousse and dark chocolate ganache.
Some information via OpenTable. Image via Wikimedia/suksim
There will be horse-drawn carriage rides from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Rides meet in front of Talbot’s on Market Street. Rides will take place rain or shine.
The cost is $5 per person. Children under 5 ride free with an adult. Proceeds will benefit Volunteer Fairfax.
Other special Valentine’s Day events at Reston Town Center Saturday:
Sweet and Savory Valentine’s Special at The Tasting Room Wine Bar — Enjoy a Valentine’s Day special of four cakepops plus two glasses of select wine for $20 per couple.
Gift wrapping at Appalachian Spring from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Donations benefit Kids R First.
Jour de L’Amour with The Tasting Room — A day of decadence begins at The Tasting Room with sparkling wines, chocolate, a chauffeured mini-coach tour to Boxwood Estate Winery for a group tasting experience and lunch, plus a cider tasting and distillery tour. $125 per couple – advance only. Get tickets and details at www.boxwoodwinery.com
And, of, course dinner at any number of Reston Town Center restaurants. Call your favorite for a reservation as it is sure to be a busy evening.
Photo: Horse-drawn carriage at RTC/file photo