Love is in the air, especially today.
There are plenty of places to check out — whether it’s the typical dinner date or something different — in Reston and Herndon.
We rounded up a list of events that singles and couples can check out in the area.
Let Reston Now what your plans are for Valentine’s Day.
Photo by Laura Ockel on Unsplash
Love is in the air, and these local events can help people get in the Valentine’s Day spirit.
Here’s where to find themed events in Reston and Herndon this week.
People hoping to enjoy a professionally cooked meal at home can order a special take-out dinner for two from Founding Farmers. For $65, people can enjoy three courses with two sides, a rustic white boule, dessert and two unscented glass votive candles, according to the website.
People should order by today (Wednesday, Feb. 12,) at 3 p.m. and pick up the meal on Thursday (Feb. 13) between 2-7 p.m. at the Reston location (1904 Reston Metro Plaza).
Beer My Valentine at Lake Anne Brew House (11401 N. Shore Drive) on Friday (Feb. 14) offers people over the age of 21 a special flight and pretzel drizzled in chocolate from 4-10 p.m.
The 55+ VDay Ride and Coffee Hour in Reston will take place at the New Trail Cycling Studio (1641 N. Washington Plaza) from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. on Friday. Participants will be able to take an exercise class and then head to the Lake Anne Coffee House after to relax.
A Valentine’s Show at Café Montmartre (1625 Washington Plaza) will take place from 7:30-10:30 p.m. on Friday with an open mic and dancing. People interested can call 703-904-8080 for tickets.
People with a sweet-tooth can attend the Valentine Cake Decorating Workshop at Amphora Bakery (294 Sunset Park Drive) in Herndon. For roughly $70, people can learn to bake and decorate a themed cake. This event will take place from 6-8 p.m. on Thursday (Feb.13).
Parents’ Valentine’s Night Out allows Herndon parents to take a break by offering a babysitting service from 6-9:30 p.m. on Friday. The cost is $35 per child, and people can register online. This is an official event that’s sponsored by the town.
Valentine’s Day Singles Mixer in Herndon at Breakers Sky Lounge (2445 Centreville Road) lets people meet potential dates while playing pool, darts, and karaoke. This event is free and open to the public on Friday from 7-10 p.m.
The Valentine’s Winter Brew Fest will take place from 1-8 p.m. at Mile 20 (783 Station Street) on Saturday (Feb. 15), letting guests taste-test beers from several local breweries. Tickets are $18 per person, $27 for two people or $5 for entry and only one sample. There will be music, karaoke and booths from businesses at this event.
People with a passion for art can gather for a paint and sip event at Pinot’s Palette (12976 Highland Crossing Drive) from 6-8 p.m. on Friday. The theme will be Van Gogh. The event costs $40.
Photo by Laura Ockel/Unsplash
A fire that broke out in a Herndon townhouse on Valentine’s Day has left two people displaced and caused roughly $115,000 worth of damage.
Firefighters responded to the fire at a two-story, end-unit townhouse in the 2100 block of Oram Place shortly after 4 a.m. yesterday (Feb. 14), according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.
Crews saw smoke when they arrived on the scene and “quickly located and extinguished a fire in the basement,” the fire department said.
The two people in the townhouse evacuated after smelling an odor of smoke and called 9-1-1. They accepted assistance from the Red Cross.
Fire investigators say an electrical malfunction in the furnace caused the fire in the basement by accident.
No one has reported injuries.
Units are on scene of a townhouse fire in 2100 block of Oram Place in the Herndon area. Fire in basement with some extension to upper floors. Fire is now out. No reported injuries at this time. #FCFRD #FairfaxCounty #news pic.twitter.com/59YAgozLIG
— Fairfax Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) February 14, 2019
Image via Google Maps
Happy Valentine’s Day — Hundreds of locals from Reston and Herndon recently created 10,000 handwritten valentines as part of volunteering efforts for two initiatives produced by the Barbara Foundation of Reston. [Connection Newspapers]
Girl Power! Book Club — Book lovers can share their love of reading and head to Scrawl Books to discuss “Into White” by Randi Pink at 7 p.m. [Scrawl Books]
Reston company nabs NASA IT contract — “Leidos Holdings Inc. has been awarded an information technology contract with NASA potentially worth almost $3 billion that it’s calling a ‘marquee’ win.” [Washington Business Journal]
Money and politics — The candidates vying for the 86th District seat in the Virginia House of Delegates recently disclosed their campaign finances. Democrat Ibraheem Samirah has raised the most — $73,243 — followed by Republican Gregg Nelson, who has raised $23,359. [VAPAP]
Fire at Herndon home — Crews responded to a fire in the 2100 block of Oram Place around 2:30 a.m. The fire was in the basement and extended to parts of the upper floors. The fire is now out and no injuries have been reported. [Fairfax County Fire and Rescue]
P.S. — Reston Now recently rounded up several Valentine’s Day events this week. Some of them are happening today.
Photo via J. Sibiga Photography/Flickr pool
Whether you’re celebrating with friends or significant others, Reston Now has rounded up some Valentine’s Day events this week that don’t involve dinner plans.
With all of the chocolate and candy temptations, why not focus on self-care with physical activity set to love songs and break-up hits?
The first one titled “Love vs. Break-Up Hits” is scheduled for the classes at 5:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14). On Saturday (Feb. 16), get ready for the “Battle of the Exes” at 11 a.m.
- Feb. 12 and 13 Valentine’s Day gift with purchase — Spend $100 at a Reston Town Center retailer or restaurant on Feb. 12 or 13 and receive a bouquet of flowers by bringing your receipt(s) to the flower cart located in front of the ice rink on Market Street.
- Feb. 14 Craf-Tea Thursday — Head to the Elden Streat Tea Shop to learn from Tess Rollins how to make two Valentine’s/Palentine’s Day paper cards while enjoying themed snacks and a pot of tea from 10-11 a.m.
- Feb. 14 Valentine’s Day Bingo — From 10:30 a.m. to noon, come to the Tall Oaks Assisted Living to play bingo.
- Feb. 14 Annual Valentine’s Day Horse Carriage Rides — The annual event at Reston Town Center takes place from 4-9 p.m. The proceeds will benefit Relay for Life. Rides cost $5 per person and kids under age 5 ride for free.
- Feb. 14 Valentine’s Day Painting — For $50 per person, you can enjoy painting and wine for two at Pinot’s Palette in Herndon from 7-9:30 p.m.
- Feb. 15 Valentine’s Gala — Food, dancing and more can be expected at Let’s Stay Together first annual Valentine’s Gala. The semi-formal gala will take place from 7-10 p.m. at the Embassy Suites on Woodland Park Road. Tickets start at $125.
- Feb. 17 Valentine’s Makesperience — Enjoy a couple’s dinner at 5:30 p.m. and sign up for a makers class at Nova Labs. Classes include jewelry-making, woodworking, t-shirt making, laser cutting and creating tea lights.
- Feb. 17 Galentine’s Day Party — Scrawl Books plans to host a post-Valentine’s “Galentine’s Party” to benefit Cornerstones and the Laurel Learning Program. Authors Orly Konig and Erika Marks will discuss books, writing and life while drinks and hors-d’oeuvres are served.
Firing up some love for Reston Olympian Maame Biney – Fire Station 39 in North Point is showing Biney, a short-track speed skater, some love on their entrance sign. She advanced to the 500-meter Olympics quarterfinal over the weekend. [Fairfax County Fire Department]
Class on Insight Meditation and Mindfulness Practices Today — Steady your mind with this guided class on insight meditation, an art that aims to cultivate natural wisdom and compassion. The class will take place atUnitarian Universalist Church in Reston (1625 Wiehle Avenue) from 7:30-8:45 p.m. Newcomers are welcome and registration is free.
If you’re feeling adventurous – Reston’s Tropical Smoothie Cafe is offering a “red hot love” smoothie in celebration of Valentine’s Day through Wednesday. We’re told it’s a mix of green apple, white chocolate and cinnamon candies. [Tropical Smoothie Cafe]
Valentine’s Day is just a little over a week away. If you haven’t already, you’ll want to make your dinner reservations soon, before the restaurants fill up and you’re left in the doghouse.
Here is just a sampling of some of the specials being offered by eateries around Reston:
- American Tap Room (1811 Library St.) will offer a three-course dinner (2 entrees, 1 appetizer, 1 dessert) with a bottle of wine and a rose for $70, tax and gratuity not included.
- Big Bowl (11915 Democracy Drive) is offering a special three-course Valentine’s Menu for Two from Friday, Feb. 10 to Tuesday, Feb. 14 for $44.95 per couple, not including beverages, tax or gratuity.
- Il Fornaio (11990 Market St.) will be offering its regular dinner menu along with a regional menu inspired by the region of Umbria, the birthplace of St. Valentine.
- Kalypso’s Sports Tavern (1617 Washington Plaza N.) will offer music by Tula from 6-9 p.m.
- McCormick & Schmick’s (11920 Democracy Drive) will have Valentine’s specials all weekend.
- The Melting Pot (11730 Plaza America Drive) is offering a four-course prix fixe menu on Valentine’s Day. Cost is $80 per person, which includes all four courses and a complimentary champange toast.
- Mon Ami Gabi (11950 Democracy Drive) offers more than 80 boutique French wine varietals that complement its menu of classic French dishes.
- Morton’s The Steakhouse (11956 Market St.) is welcoming Valentine’s Day celebrants to enjoy their steak dinner.
- Passion Fish (11960 Democracy Drive) will be offering a three-course dinner with a price range of $60-$90, depending on entree selection.
- Tavern64 (1800 Presidents St.) is offering a Valentine’s Day “Duet Menu” for $55 per person. Details are available on the restaurant’s Facebook page.
- Uncle Julio’s (1827 Library St.) will offer chocolate pinatas, filled with fresh fruit and house-made mini-churros. They are served with a trio of raspberry, chocolate and caramel sauces and homemade whipped cream.
- Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive) is featuring a $50 tasting menu with a wine pairing. The meal begins with an offering of baby red Russian kale salad, followed by house-cured Wester Ross organic salmon and grilled rack of lamb, and ending with dessert of pomegranate mousse and dark chocolate ganache.
Some information via OpenTable. Image via Wikimedia/suksim
There will be horse-drawn carriage rides from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Rides meet in front of Talbot’s on Market Street. Rides will take place rain or shine.
The cost is $5 per person. Children under 5 ride free with an adult. Proceeds will benefit Volunteer Fairfax.
Other special Valentine’s Day events at Reston Town Center Saturday:
Sweet and Savory Valentine’s Special at The Tasting Room Wine Bar — Enjoy a Valentine’s Day special of four cakepops plus two glasses of select wine for $20 per couple.
Gift wrapping at Appalachian Spring from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Donations benefit Kids R First.
Jour de L’Amour with The Tasting Room — A day of decadence begins at The Tasting Room with sparkling wines, chocolate, a chauffeured mini-coach tour to Boxwood Estate Winery for a group tasting experience and lunch, plus a cider tasting and distillery tour. $125 per couple – advance only. Get tickets and details at www.boxwoodwinery.com
And, of, course dinner at any number of Reston Town Center restaurants. Call your favorite for a reservation as it is sure to be a busy evening.
Photo: Horse-drawn carriage at RTC/file photo
The snow has caused a Valentine’s Day cancelation.
Friday’s horse-drawn carriage rides at Reston Town Center have been called off due to the snow.
Rides were scheduled to take place 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. to benefit Volunteer Fairfax.
Photo courtesy Reston Town Town Center.