Monday, May 3
- Puppet Party (2-3 p.m.) — Help Lucky Duck and Mr. Chris find Mini Bunny so that the magic show can start! This virtual puppet mystery hosted by Fairfax County Public Library is for school-aged kids who want to love mystery and want to learn a few magic tricks.
Tuesday, May 4
- Star Wars Nailed It! (7-8:30 p.m.) — May the Fourth be with you while designing the perfect Star Wars cake. Inspired by the Netflix competition show Nailed It!, this event from Chantilly DIY cake decorating studio Cake Time gives participants a chance to succeed (or fail) in elaborately decorating their own cake. Masks must be worn at all times.
Wednesday, May 5
- Rewind Wednesdays (7 p.m.) — Join local musician David Thong outdoors at Jammin’ Java for an all-request, totally improvised show. Get over the hump day by rocking out to everything from No Doubt to Neil Diamond.
Thursday, May 6
- Books for Teachers (4-6 p.m.) — It’s Teacher Appreciation Week, and all teachers love books. From May 5-8, any teacher (or librarian and school staff) who shops at Reston’s Scrawl Books will get a discount, a free tote bag, and a gift card.
Friday, May 7
- Who Dunnit (2 p.m.) — Catch a virtual performance of South Lakes High School’s spring musical, a murder mystery written by Mark Brutsche. Can you solve the mystery of who did it?
Saturday, May 8
- FCPL Comic Con (3-4 p.m.) — Learn the basics of drawing comics with award-winning illustrator Wendy Xu, the co-creator of the book “Mooncakes.” This event is intended for middle and high schoolers.
- Soundwalk (any time) — Pulitzer Prize-winning composer and sound artist Ellen Reid curates this unique work of public art at Wolf Trap. Download the free app, walk Wolf Trap’s grounds, and listen to the music that will guide and showcase the natural environment.
Sunday, May 9
- Pups and Pints (12-8 p.m.) — The McLean Metro station’s parking lot is being transformed into a makeshift dog park. So, bring your pup, grab a bite from a food truck, sip a pint, and enjoy live music at this outdoor dog/human festival for all. Masks are required when not eating and drinking.
- Mother’s Day 5K (7-10 a.m.) — Celebrate your mom at Occoquan Regional Park’s third annual Mother’s Day 5k Run/Walk. The course takes you along the beautiful Occoquan River. It’s family and dog-friendly with finisher medals open to runners and walkers of all abilities.
Photo via Unsplash/Jessica Ruscello
A new CBD boutique is coming soon to Lake Anne Plaza (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) A CBD boutique is coming soon to Reston’s Lake Anne Plaza. OmBaked is expected…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Are you an inspired foodie like…
The clock is ticking for Fairfax County and the D.C. region to adopt a new transportation plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. This past June, the National Capital Region…
The Reston Town Center pavilion reopened in November after undergoing renovations (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Intricate ice sculptures are coming to Reston Town Center’s outdoor skating rink at the…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.