Monday, May 3
- Puppet Party (2-3 p.m.) — Help Lucky Duck and Mr. Chris find Mini Bunny so that the magic show can start! This virtual puppet mystery hosted by Fairfax County Public Library is for school-aged kids who want to love mystery and want to learn a few magic tricks.
Tuesday, May 4
- Star Wars Nailed It! (7-8:30 p.m.) — May the Fourth be with you while designing the perfect Star Wars cake. Inspired by the Netflix competition show Nailed It!, this event from Chantilly DIY cake decorating studio Cake Time gives participants a chance to succeed (or fail) in elaborately decorating their own cake. Masks must be worn at all times.
Wednesday, May 5
- Rewind Wednesdays (7 p.m.) — Join local musician David Thong outdoors at Jammin’ Java for an all-request, totally improvised show. Get over the hump day by rocking out to everything from No Doubt to Neil Diamond.
Thursday, May 6
- Books for Teachers (4-6 p.m.) — It’s Teacher Appreciation Week, and all teachers love books. From May 5-8, any teacher (or librarian and school staff) who shops at Reston’s Scrawl Books will get a discount, a free tote bag, and a gift card.
Friday, May 7
- Who Dunnit (2 p.m.) — Catch a virtual performance of South Lakes High School’s spring musical, a murder mystery written by Mark Brutsche. Can you solve the mystery of who did it?
Saturday, May 8
- FCPL Comic Con (3-4 p.m.) — Learn the basics of drawing comics with award-winning illustrator Wendy Xu, the co-creator of the book “Mooncakes.” This event is intended for middle and high schoolers.
- Soundwalk (any time) — Pulitzer Prize-winning composer and sound artist Ellen Reid curates this unique work of public art at Wolf Trap. Download the free app, walk Wolf Trap’s grounds, and listen to the music that will guide and showcase the natural environment.
Sunday, May 9
- Pups and Pints (12-8 p.m.) — The McLean Metro station’s parking lot is being transformed into a makeshift dog park. So, bring your pup, grab a bite from a food truck, sip a pint, and enjoy live music at this outdoor dog/human festival for all. Masks are required when not eating and drinking.
- Mother’s Day 5K (7-10 a.m.) — Celebrate your mom at Occoquan Regional Park’s third annual Mother’s Day 5k Run/Walk. The course takes you along the beautiful Occoquan River. It’s family and dog-friendly with finisher medals open to runners and walkers of all abilities.
Photo via Unsplash/Jessica Ruscello
Makers Union in Reston Town Center will feature a special holiday bar (courtesy Thompson Hospitality) Makers Union, a restaurant and pub based in Reston Town Center, is welcoming the holidays…
The Foster Glen townhomes in Oak Hill are the only development in Fairfax County currently selling workforce dwelling units at 120% AMI (via Google Maps) In the future, people who…
The restaurant Indochen is slated to open in Reston Town Center next spring (courtesy Indochen) A restaurant that fuses flavors from a different continent is coming soon to Reston Town…
Behind the Rotunda Condominiums in Tysons (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Low Interest in Virginia’s Medical Cannabis Program — “A new study that takes a close look at Virginia’s medical…