New Year’s Eve is right around the corner, closing out an exciting first year for FFXnow.
Since officially launching on Feb. 22, the new home of Tysons Reporter and Reston Now has pushed to bring the local news reporting from those sites to other corners of Fairfax County, from Chantilly to Huntington, while maintaining their focus on the Tysons and Reston areas.
2022 had more than its fair share of challenges. Pedestrian fatalities reached heights not seen in at least a decade, and gun violence by both community members and police was a recurring concern. Meanwhile, Covid continued to ebb and surge, as remaining pandemic health measures like mask requirements and mass vaccine clinics disappeared.
However, this year also brought some key milestones, from the long-awaited opening of Metro’s Silver Line extension into Herndon and beyond to the relegation of Lee District and the names of two highways to history.
In quirkier news, the county welcomed its first medical cannabis dispensary and a pack of rescued beagles. Colby the llama got lost and found, and remember those tornadoes that touched down in Tysons and Centreville?
Before you start writing up new year’s resolutions or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s close out 2022 by revisiting FFXnow’s 10 most-read stories of the year:
- Three people injured while evacuating Tysons Corner Center, now closed after gunfire
- McLean ride-share startup seeks to challenge Uber and Lyft by putting drivers in control
- Fairfax County approves fines for running bamboo, starting next year
- Black bear filmed strolling by Adaire Apartments in Tysons
- Silver Line extension opening date pushed once again to summer 2022
- JUST IN: Wegmans announces opening date for Reston location
- Here’s a ‘LOOK’ at what’s replacing Bow Tie Cinemas in Reston
- Here’s what will replace Clyde’s in Reston Town Center
- BREAKING: Bow Tie Cinemas to leave Reston Town Center
- Trash troubles persist in Fairfax County, with residents reporting missed pick-ups
We hope you enjoyed reading FFXnow this past year and hope to bring even more timely, comprehensive coverage of everything Fairfax County in 2023. As always, you can share tips, photos and general feedback at [email protected] or our anonymous tip form.
Fairfax County Public Schools bus on the road (file photo) The Fairfax County School Board is moving ahead with its plan to change middle school start times. According to Fairfax…
A future elementary school for Herndon is planned on a 5.55-acre as part of an overall development plan (courtesy Pomeroy Clark I) Plans for a future elementary school in the…
(Updated at 12:30 p.m.) Cindy’s Legacy — a Reston-based nonprofit organization that helps cancer patients in financial stress — received a lift from a local business last week. Reston’s Great Clips…
The Fairfax County Park Authority wants to know how community members are using its park facilities. The park authority has launched an equity survey, open through Monday, April 1, as…