In its 2015 session, the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation that combined all its previous tax-free holidays into one shopping weekend that begins the first Friday in August.
The tax free purchases, available Aug. 7-9, include:
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Virginia’s list of qualifying items
Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Items
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items with a sales price of $60 or less per item
- Detailed list of hurricane preparedness items
Energy Star and WaterSense Items
Qualifying items carrying either the Energy Star or WaterSense label with a sales price of $2,500 or less purchased for non-commercial home or personal use.
- Qualifying Energy Star items include dishwashers, clothes washers, air conditioners, ceiling fans, light bulbs, dehumidifiers, and refrigerators
- Qualifying WaterSense items include bathroom sink faucets, faucet accessories such as aerators and shower heads, toilets, urinals, and landscape irrigation controllers
- Detailed list of Energy Star and WaterSense items
Online purchases of qualifying products will also be exempt from the sales tax as long as the orders are placed during the Aug. 7-9 exemption period and the sellers have the items available for immediate shipment.
For more information, visit the Virginia Department of Taxation website.