In its 2015 session, the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation that combined all its previous tax-free holidays into one shopping weekend that begins the first Friday in August.
The tax free purchases, available Aug. 7-9, include:
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Virginia’s list of qualifying items
Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Items
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items with a sales price of $60 or less per item
- Detailed list of hurricane preparedness items
Energy Star and WaterSense Items
Qualifying items carrying either the Energy Star or WaterSense label with a sales price of $2,500 or less purchased for non-commercial home or personal use.
- Qualifying Energy Star items include dishwashers, clothes washers, air conditioners, ceiling fans, light bulbs, dehumidifiers, and refrigerators
- Qualifying WaterSense items include bathroom sink faucets, faucet accessories such as aerators and shower heads, toilets, urinals, and landscape irrigation controllers
- Detailed list of Energy Star and WaterSense items
Online purchases of qualifying products will also be exempt from the sales tax as long as the orders are placed during the Aug. 7-9 exemption period and the sellers have the items available for immediate shipment.
For more information, visit the Virginia Department of Taxation website.
Herndon will work with Fairfax Water to add a pump station next to the police station (via Town of Herndon) A pump station proposed for the Herndon Police Department site…
Railroad tracks are elevated above Lake Accotink Park (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Retired Priest Found Not Guilty of Sexual Abuse — “Terry Wayne Specht, 69, of Pennsylvania was found…
This sponsored column is written by the team at Arrowine & Cheese (4508 Cherry Hill Road in Arlington). Sign up for the email newsletter and receive exclusive discounts and offers. Experience Arrowine’s Tastings & Events. Have…
Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chair Jeff McKay (file photo) Fairfax County deserves more local authority, Board of Supervisors Chairman Jeff McKay says, calling Virginia’s Dillon Rule “increasingly more intrusive”…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.