The snow has stopped falling. Now: the cold.
About six inches of the white stuff fell in Reston on Tuesday. However, residents who did not dig out yesterday better bundle up today as morning temperatures are in the single digits — even below zero with the wind chill.
Here is what to know today:
Fairfax County Public Schools are closed.
Fairfax County Government offices are open, however employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
The Federal Government is open but under two-hour delayed arrival. Employees have the option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework.
More county agencies:
Parks, Community and Recreation and Community Centers
- If you have questions about Park Authority facilities, contact the site directly, call the Parks inclement weather line at 703-324-8661, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks.
- For Department of Neighborhood and Community Servicesprograms and events visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs or call703-324-4600, TTY 711.
- All programs at Reston Community Center are canceled today. Call RCC at 703-476-4500, TTY 711, www.restoncommunitycenter.com.
- Fairfax Connector bus service may be affected by the inclement weather. Check the Connector Web page at www.fairfaxconnector.com for the current operating status.
- For information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, press 8; TTY 711, or online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs/fastran.htm.
- Library hours may be affected; call your local branch before visiting. For branch phone numbers, call 703-324-3100 or go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library.
View the public meetings calendar at for any potential cancellations of public meetings of Fairfax County government Boards, Authorities or Commissions.
Snow Plow Info
Visit http://www.vdotplows.org to see the status of plowing in Northern Virginia.
For general snow removal information, visit http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/snow.asp
Report unplowed roads, hazardous conditions to [email protected], 800-367-7623, or the Hunter Mill District office, 703-478-0283.
Going out? Tell us about the road conditions in Reston in the comments.
Photo of Bob Simon statue in snow by Charlotte Geary
A new CBD boutique is coming soon to Lake Anne Plaza (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) A CBD boutique is coming soon to Reston’s Lake Anne Plaza. OmBaked is expected…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Are you an inspired foodie like…
The clock is ticking for Fairfax County and the D.C. region to adopt a new transportation plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. This past June, the National Capital Region…
The Reston Town Center pavilion reopened in November after undergoing renovations (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Intricate ice sculptures are coming to Reston Town Center’s outdoor skating rink at the…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.