More snow fell overnight on top of the 13 inches or so already on the ground, which may turn plowed streets and shoveled sidewalks back into the mess they were earlier.
Nonetheless, many around here are trying to get back to business as usual. Here are some updates as of 7:30 a.m. Friday:
Fairfax County Public Schools are closed.
The Federal Government is on a two-hour delay.
Fairfax County government is opening at noon.
Fairfax County Public Libraries are closed.
Northern Virginia Community College is closed.
- VDOT says many roads are still very icy. Check VDOT’s VA 511 site to see conditions.
- Fairfax Connector is running weekday service, starting at 6 a.m., with slight detours.
- Fastran will transport dialysis, chemotherapy, and radiation trips only. All other scheduled route services including: senior centers, adult day health care, Women’s Recovery Center, senior residence trips, and charter services are canceled.
- Virginia Railway Express will only operate trains with an “S” above its train number.
- Metrobus will run limited service only on selected major arterial roadways.
- Fairfax County Collection Customers: Trash and recycling collection service has been suspended for Thursday and Friday customers as a result of the weather and road conditions.
The National Zoo will open at noon.
Reston Association offices will open at noon.
Friday’s horse-drawn carriage rides at Reston Town Center are cancelled due to the snow. Most restaurants and stores plan to be open though.
- Thursday featured a record number of canceled flights. The main runway at Reagan National is open and several runways at Dulles International are open. However, check with your individual airline as there still may be many cancellations and delays.
The Reston Town Center pavilion reopened in November after undergoing renovations (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Intricate ice sculptures are coming to Reston Town Center’s outdoor skating rink at the…
Inova workers who helped administer Covid vaccines, including for school employees, will be among those honored by Fairfax County (photo by Karen Bolt/Fairfax County Public Schools) As work gets underway…
Inside Fairfax City Regional Library (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Fire Department Gets Grant for Cancer Screenings — The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department recently got a $450,000 grant…
Hillary Waters Fayle’s work focuses on leaves and humanity (courtesy Tephra ICA) A new exhibit featuring intricate embroidery on leaves is set to open soon at Tephra Institute of Contemporary…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.