Students and staff at Reston’s Terraset Elementary were on lockdown in the school cafeteria for about an hour on Wednesday due to a gas leak at the school.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue crews were called to the school about 11:40 a.m. for a smell of gas. The leak, in the rear outside of the building, was located and capped. Crews determined it was safe for people to remain in the part of the school away from the leak while it was fixed.
Most students returned to their classrooms or safe areas of the building by 12:45 p.m. Upper-grade students in the temporary classrooms outside the school remained in the trailers. There were no injuries.
“As always, we were pleased with the appropriate and responsible conduct of our students and the professional manner of our staff,” principal Lindsay Trout said in an email to Terraset parents and guardians after the school day resumed. “We truly have a responsive and caring school family.”
Terraset’s grounds have been an active construction site for more than a year as the nearly 40-year-old school is undergoing a major renovation.