The National Weather Service says its Blizzard Watch issued yesterday will become a Blizzard Warning beginning Friday afternoon.
The Blizzard Warning for Reston, Northern Virginia and the Washington, DC area goes into effect Friday at 3 p.m. and will remain in effect through 6 a.m. Sunday, the NWS said.
A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. There will be falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibility, including whiteout conditions, the NWS says.
The forecast for the Reston area is 24 to 30 inches of snow.
More from the NWS:
HAZARD TYPES…HEAVY SNOW AND WIND WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. SLEET MAY MIX WITH THE SNOW FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING EAST OF INTERSTATE 95 BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.
* ACCUMULATIONS…SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES IN THE EASTERN SUBURBS OF WASHINGTON DC…AND 24 TO 30 INCHES IN THE WESTERN SUBURBS. THE CITY OF WASHINGTON DC IS EXPECTED TO RECEIVE AROUND 24 INCHES.
* TIMING…HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW…STRONGEST WINDS…AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.
* IMPACTS…HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.
* WINDS…NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50
MPH…BECOMING NORTH SATURDAY.
* TEMPERATURES…MID TO UPPER 20S.
Graphic: Blizzard Warning areas in red for Jan. 22-24 storm/Credit: NWS