A Pennsylvania-based company plans to bring a senior citizens’ independent living and assisted living facility to the site of the former United Christian Parish on Colts Neck Road near Hunters Woods Village Center.
It would be the first Virginia location for IntegraCare, which has facilities in Pennsylvania and Maryland. IntegraCare’s proposal will go before the Fairfax County Planning Commission later this month.
The 4.3-acre lot at 2222 Colts Neck was first approved by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors for 210 senior housing units in 2007.
The building will be 230,000 square feet in two wings, one along Colts Neck and one along Reston Parkway. The estimated completion date is 2020.
The assisted living facility will feature multiple dining venues, a theater, salon, barber shop, physical therapy unit, fitness center, library and computer center, Club room, sun room, outdoor fitness stations, raised gardening area, and an arts and crafts center, and a Memory Care garden, according to a county planning department staff report.
The staff report highlights the need for more senior housing in Reston:
In the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, 32 percent of assisted living units and 25 percent of memory care units are in communities that offer independent living facilities; however, in the Reston market only has 9 percent. The market feasibility studies concluded that the proposal would bring Reston’s senior living mix closer to the metropolitan regional average.
Last week, the Board of Supervisors approved plans for a 135-bed assisted living facility to be built on Leesburg Pike near Baron Cameron Avenue.
Some more details about the Colts Neck project from the staff report:
- Both the independent and assisted living facilities will accommodate residents age 62 years or older.
- Two stages of memory care will be offered at the assisted living facility.
- Changes from the 2007 proposal include a covered driveway to the main entrance to the assisted living wing; a covered walkway to the independent living facility wing, and a revised community garden layout.
Some development conditions added to the plan in October:
- A minimum 65-foot-wide buffer should be provided from existing edge of pavement of Reston Parkway.
- Affordable housing at a minimum of 20 percent of the total number of units should be provided.
- Restoration and enhancement of the impaired Snakeden Stream Valley that is located in the northern portion of the parcel should coincide with redevelopment.
- Pedestrian access from the site to the Snakeden Stream Valley trail, the abutting multifamily housing development to the south, the Village Center to the east, and Colts Neck Road should be provided.
- A total of 128 parking spaces are required and 177 spaces are being provided to meet the parking requirement for the independent living facility and medical care facility (assisted facility) uses.
Some of the developer proffers:
- 20 percent (18 units) of the independent living facility units will be offered as affordable housing units.
- The County’s Health Care Advisory Board (HCAB) recommended that four percent (five beds) of the proposed assisted living facility beds be provided through the Auxiliary Grant program of the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services.
- Fairfax County Fire and Rescue requested funding for the cost of two preemption devices for traffic signals ($10,000 each) located along the primary travel route from the Fox Mill Fire and Rescue Station.
- The Park Authority recommended clustering the outdoor fitness stations rather than dispersing them along the 8-foot wide asphalt trail along the northern boundary. IntegraCare has proffered to cluster the fitness stations.
- The applicant previously proffered to apply a contribution of $161,300 to the Reston Association Walker Nature Center, but that proffer has been revised and may be applied to not only the Nature Center but to pedestrian improvements and/or public art in the vicinity, according to the staff report.
- The developer will construct a pedestrian trail along the Property’s frontage on Colts Neck Road.
A planning commission hearing is scheduled for Feb. 17 at 8:15 p.m.
Photos: Top, rendering of South elevation of facility/Credit: Fairfax County; Bottom, former United Christian Parish building/file photo
A new CBD boutique is coming soon to Lake Anne Plaza (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) A CBD boutique is coming soon to Reston’s Lake Anne Plaza. OmBaked is expected…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Are you an inspired foodie like…
The clock is ticking for Fairfax County and the D.C. region to adopt a new transportation plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. This past June, the National Capital Region…
The Reston Town Center pavilion reopened in November after undergoing renovations (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Intricate ice sculptures are coming to Reston Town Center’s outdoor skating rink at the…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.