At Reston Now, we’re taking a break, too. We won’t publish Monday in observance of Christmas Day, but we’ll return with more local news Tuesday.
According to locals officials, here’s what’s closed in Reston around the Christmas holiday:
Reston Association and Fairfax County Government:
- Reston Association offices and facilities, including the Central Services facility, will close Friday, Dec. 23, and Monday, Dec. 26. In addition, the Nature Center will close Dec. 23-27, though the trails at Walker Nature Center will remain open.
- Fairfax County government offices are also closed Friday, Dec. 23, and Monday, Dec. 26.
- Fairfax County Public Schools remain on Winter Break, with school resuming on Tuesday, Jan. 3.
County Libraries, Recreation Centers:
- Fairfax County public libraries are closed Dec. 23-26.
- On Friday, Dec. 23, and Monday, Dec. 26, all Fairfax County RECenters are open with their usual hours. Historic sites, nature centers and Riverbend Visitors Center are open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Frying Pan Farm Park is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but the Visitors Center is closed. Green Sprigs Gardens Horticultural Center is open 12-4:30 p.m. but the Historic House is closed.
- On Saturday, Dec. 24, all Fairfax County RECenters are open their usual hours except George Washington, which is closed. All other sites such historic sites, nature centers, visitors centers and houses are closed.
- On Sunday, Dec. 25, all county sites are closed.
- More detailed information and hours for specific locations is available on the county government website.
Reston Community Centers:
- RCC Hunters Woods is open Friday, Dec. 23, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Saturday, Dec. 24, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. It is closed on Sunday, Dec. 25; and is open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 26.
- The Terry L. Smith Aquatics Center is open Friday, Dec. 23, from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Saturday, Dec. 24, from 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The center is closed Sunday, Dec. 25. The center is open on Monday, Dec. 26 from 12-9 p.m.
- RCC Lake Anne is closed Dec. 23-27.
Fairfax County Courts:
- Fairfax County Circuit and General District courts closed at noon today, and will stay closed Friday and Monday.
- On Saturday, Dec. 24, Metrorail will operate from 7 a.m. to midnight on a normal Saturday schedule. Metrobus will operate on a normal Saturday schedule.
- On Sunday, Dec. 25, Metrorail will operate from 7 a.m. to midnight on a normal Sunday schedule. Metrobus will operate on a normal Sunday schedule.
- On Monday, Dec. 26, Metrorail will operate from 7 a.m. to midnight on a normal Sunday schedule. Metrobus will operate on a normal Sunday schedule.
Connector Buses and Fastran:
- Fairfax Connector buses will run on a normal Saturday schedule on Saturday, Dec. 24, and Sunday, Dec. 25. A Sunday schedule will go into effect on Monday, Dec. 26. See details of all routes online.
- All Fastran neighborhood and community service transportation programs will be closed Friday through Monday, Dec. 23-26.
Trash and Recycling:
- Residents should contact their individual service providers to find out their holiday collection schedules. Information about various providers throughout the county are available on the government website.
The latest Reston Home Insider explains why buyer fatigue is so common right now and ways to push through it.
(Updated at 11:30 a.m.) Face masks are now required when students are inside Fairfax County Public School buildings, regardless of an individual’s vaccination status, the school district announced this morning…
Hundreds of electric scooters have started popping up around Fairfax County after the county announced last week that it had approved two vendors for its shared mobility device program. Bird…
CDC Updates Mask Guidance — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends masks indoors in places with high or substantial COVID-19 transmission and in schools nationwide, regardless of…