The Virginia Department of Transportation is telling residents that if they don’t have to go out today, don’t.
Snow, sleet and freezing rain has fallen in Reston and the surrounding area, and drivers are being advised to stay off the roads. VDOT warns that anyone who must travel should reduce speeds, use extreme caution and be alert to icy and inclement conditions. Road temperatures are expected to remain below freezing all day, with potential for continued refreeze.
To see current road conditions and snowplow activity, visit www.vdotplows.org.
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) March 14, 2017
Area closings, cancellations and other re-schedulings include:
- Fairfax County Public Schools are closed.
- Reston Association offices will open with a 2-hour delay. RA evening meetings have been called off.
- All Reston Community Center programs are canceled today. The pool will open at 9 a.m.
- The Lake House will be open at 9:30 a.m. for the School Day Off program.
- All School Age Child Care (SACC) centers in the county are closed.
- The Office of Personnel Management says federal employees are working on a 3-hour delay today. Employees have the option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework.
- Metrorail is operating on a Saturday schedule. Metrobus services are working under the Moderate Snow Plan.
- Fairfax Connector bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule. Check www.fairfaxconnector.com for the current operating status.
- There will be no county trash or recycling pickup today.
- MVB Bank (1801 Old Reston Ave.) will open on a 3-hour delay.
- The Capital Bikeshare system will remain open today; however, there will be no rebalancing of bikes.
- For information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, TTY 711 or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs/
- Fairfax County government offices are open. However, employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
- Today’s Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting will start at 1 p.m.
- View the county’s public meetings calendar for any potential cancellations of public meetings of Fairfax County government Boards, Authorities or Commissions.
- The Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court have not yet made a decision on operating status.
If you have a closing or cancellation to add to our list, please email [email protected] Use the same address to send us any snow day photos or other information you would like us to share with the community.
Photo via @RenaeDitmer on Twitter
Construction on The Rylan apartments in the Highland District (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Fairfax County is moving forward with an update to its affordable housing policy that could ensure…
Journalist Bob Woodward at the Washington West Film Festival’s 40th anniversary screening for “All the President’s Men” (courtesy of Washington West Film Festival) The movie world’s annual parade of fall…
Herndon Town Manager Bill Ashton presents the town’s fiscal year 2022 annual report (via Town of Herndon) The Town of Herndon hasn’t missed a single trash day during the COVID-19…
Thinking about taking the next step in your career? The Arlington-based Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University offers flexible part-time or full-time options for graduate certificate…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.