The Virginia Department of Transportation is telling residents that if they don’t have to go out today, don’t.
Snow, sleet and freezing rain has fallen in Reston and the surrounding area, and drivers are being advised to stay off the roads. VDOT warns that anyone who must travel should reduce speeds, use extreme caution and be alert to icy and inclement conditions. Road temperatures are expected to remain below freezing all day, with potential for continued refreeze.
To see current road conditions and snowplow activity, visit www.vdotplows.org.
Simulation shows wintry mix continuing next few hours, before precip ends as snow late morning to early afternoon: https://t.co/wuM0TkJR4y pic.twitter.com/oBaVmQ5cma
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) March 14, 2017
Area closings, cancellations and other re-schedulings include:
- Fairfax County Public Schools are closed.
- Reston Association offices will open with a 2-hour delay. RA evening meetings have been called off.
- All Reston Community Center programs are canceled today. The pool will open at 9 a.m.
- The Lake House will be open at 9:30 a.m. for the School Day Off program.
- All School Age Child Care (SACC) centers in the county are closed.
- The Office of Personnel Management says federal employees are working on a 3-hour delay today. Employees have the option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework.
- Metrorail is operating on a Saturday schedule. Metrobus services are working under the Moderate Snow Plan.
- Fairfax Connector bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule. Check www.fairfaxconnector.com for the current operating status.
- There will be no county trash or recycling pickup today.
- MVB Bank (1801 Old Reston Ave.) will open on a 3-hour delay.
- The Capital Bikeshare system will remain open today; however, there will be no rebalancing of bikes.
- For information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, TTY 711 or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs/
- Fairfax County government offices are open. However, employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
- Today’s Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting will start at 1 p.m.
- View the county’s public meetings calendar for any potential cancellations of public meetings of Fairfax County government Boards, Authorities or Commissions.
- The Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court have not yet made a decision on operating status.
If you have a closing or cancellation to add to our list, please email [email protected] Use the same address to send us any snow day photos or other information you would like us to share with the community.
Photo via @RenaeDitmer on Twitter
The bar and lounge celebrated a soft opening earlier this month (via Eve’s Garden/Facebook) The Faraday Park neighborhood has officially welcomed another tenant: Eve’s Garden Lounge and Bar. The Asian…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Prepare to be amazed! Fairfax County…
The Herndon Festival returns to the town in June (courtesy Town of Herndon) “American Idol” winner David Cook will headline this year’s Herndon Festival, set to take place from June…
Banners commemorating U.S. service members killed in past wars hang in Fairfax City’s Old Town Square for Memorial Day (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) The Water Mine and Other Parks…