Ahead of the completion of phase two of the Silver Line project, a nearly $14 million renovation project of the Reston-Herndon bus garage facility on 268 Spring Street is complete.
County officials said the facility will help support Fairfax Connector bus operation in Reston and Herndon as the Silver Line project brings more demand to the area.
The project was funded through revenue from the commercial and industrial tax and general obligation bonds. A ribbon cutting to celebrate the opening of the new facility was held today (September 19).
“Staff now have a working environment that is safer, more efficient, and more comfortable than before,” county officials wrote in a statement.
The renovation project includes the following:
- An existing bay was closed to create a new drive-through bus wash
- Addition construction for exterior tire storage
- Upgrades to vehicle lifts and service equipment
- Creation of automated parts storage system
- Modernization of drivers lounge and administration areas
- Addition of new fueling station
- Replacement of bus parking lot surface with heavy-duty concrete
- New parking lot for staff
Photo via Fairfax County Government