(Updated at 8:10 a.m.)
Fairfax County Public Schools and school facilities will be closed today (Thursday) as a winter weather advisory has been put into effect for Fairfax County. Schools were originally only set for a two hour delay.
From 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. today (Thursday), the National Weather Service is warning residents throughout the Washington, D.C. area to expect up to one inch of sleet and snow, with ice accumulations of up to a tenth of an inch.
NWS says the icy conditions could mean slippery roads and sidewalk conditions in some areas. Here’s more from the NWS alert:
Be very careful if you venture outside tomorrow. Watch your first few steps in particular as your step or path may be coated with ice.
A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.
Fairfax County Government officials remind commuters and residents to take the following precautions as they head out today:
• Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter, checking that your lights, oil, antifreeze, brakes, tires and windshield wipers are in good shape.
• Ensure your headlights are on day or night during inclement weather.
• Leave a few minutes early when driving in inclement weather.
• Keep an eye out for black ice and be aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges.
• Create a safe stopping distance between your car and other vehicles.
• If it does snow, be sure to clear ice and snow from your car’s roof, hood and trunk – and especially from windows, mirrors and lights. Don’t try to drive before your car is defrosted!
Photo via National Weather Service
The weekend is almost here. Before you crank up the air-conditioning, or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in Fairfax County. Here are…
The proposed redevelopment of an aging Residence Inn in the Town of Herndon is barreling toward a final approval before the Herndon Town Council this month. The property owner, identified…
Clyde’s of Reston, an American bar and restaurant, will permanently close its doors tomorrow, ending 31 years of business in Reston Town Center. But even as it auctions off iconic…
A Japanese maple tree on Church Street in Vienna (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Heat Raises Risk for Outdoor Activities — “The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a special weather statement…