Before its opening next week at Reston Town Center, the coffeehouse chain will hold a free pre-opening gathering where locals can get a free cup of coffee from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. tomorrow (March 9).
As part of the celebration, Peet’s will be collecting in-kind donations for Shelter House, a non-profit organization that provides crisis intervention, safe housing and supportive services to homeless families and victims of domestic violence.
Locals can donate the following new and unopened items:
- diapers (sizes 4, 5 and 6)
- pots, pans and silverware
- $5 Visa or American Express gift cards
In addition to the Saturday event, Peet’s at Reston Town Center (11830 Freedom Drive) will keep collecting donations during the first full week of its opening.
Tomorrow (March 9)
- Run or walk (8 a.m.) — Lace up your sneakers and join the Reston Runners for either a 3-mile walk or 5-mile run, starting at 11120 South Lakes Drive.
- Colvin Run Mill During Special Tour (10:30 a.m.) — Go to Great Falls for a hike around the 200-year-old working mill. The “Four Floor Tour Class” involves climbing steep stairs get to spots not seen on the regular mill tours. The tour may last up to two hours and costs $10 per person.
- Bookworms Club (11 a.m.) — Scrawl Books will have authors Mary Quattlebaum and Joan Waites bring their animal tales, followed by an art project with the authors.
- Chinese Dance Workshop (2-3 p.m.) — Kids can enjoy a performance by the Xuejuan Dance Ensemble and learn about China’s different ethnic groups at the Herndon Fortnightly Library. Attendees will receive a short dance lesson.
- Astronomy Festival (6 p.m.) — Head to the Observatory Park at Turner Farm for guided star gazing and listening to ancient stories about the constellations around a campfire. Tickets are $10.
Sunday (March 10)
- Reston Friends Mystery and Adventure Sale (1-5 p.m.) — get ready to investigate the wide selection of titles available at the Reston Friends Mystery and Adventure Book Sale at the Reston Regional Library.
- Youth Art Month Exhibit Reception (2-4 p.m.) — Enjoy a reception for an exhibit including Reston elementary school student art at the Jo Ann Rose Gallery.
- Sunday Afternoon Dance (2:30-4:30 p.m.) — Dancers can do the foxtrot, swing, cha-cha and waltz at RCC Hunters Woods. Tickets cost $5 for Restonians.
- Sunday Country Western Dance (5:30-8 p.m.) — get your boots on for some line dancing, two-step, shuffle and swing at RCC Hunters Woods. Tickets cost $5 for Restonians.