Electrical Accident Causes Reston House Fire

A two-story, single-family home in Reston caught fire on Sept. 19, displacing two occupants and leaving approximately $65,500 in damages.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department dispatched units to the 11500 block of Greenwich Point Road at 5:17 on Saturday after receiving a report of a house fire.

Witnessing fire on the house’s roof when they arrived on the scene, responders worked to control the fire from the building’s exterior before transitioning inside to extinguish the blaze.

The fire was accidental in nature, resulting from an electrical event that started in the interior wall of a second-floor bedroom, the department reported in a news update on Wednesday.

According to the fire and rescue department, two occupants were home at the time of the fire. They self-evacuated after a neighbor who observed flames on the roof alerted them to the fire, which did not activate smoke alarms due to its location in the house.

No civilian or firefighter injuries have been reported as a result of the fire.

Recent Stories

Worldgate Athletic Club & Spa is reopening this week after roughly $4 million in renovations. The club, which is located at 13037 Worldgate Drive, has upgraded its fitness equipment and…

Reston Hospital Center is now requiring its staff to get at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, reversing course on a previous policy that did not require staff to…

Morning Notes

Reston Chamber Plans for 2022 — The Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce is offering a full slate of live events to support local business owners. President Charles Kapur reflects on…

Reston Association has acknowledged that technological mishaps resulted in tens of thousands of dollars in additional expenses. The organization described how it’s working to prevent those types of incidents following…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list