The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Reston area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Reston, Herndon and Great Falls. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Monday (Nov. 2)
- Thanksgiving Food Drive (November 1-23) — Patrons, businesses, and organizations are encouraged to drop off non-perishable food and other items at Reston Community Center Hunters Woods (2310 Colts Neck Road) and Lake Anne facilities, the Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce, and a variety of other drop-off points throughout the community, the website said. View this link to see the most needed items.
Tuesday (Nov. 3)
- Gourds and Gobblers — 1:30-2:30 p.m. at Riverbend Park (8700 Potomac Hills St.) — Learn about wild turkeys and other animals and plants that are an important part of our Thanksgiving tradition, the website said. The cost is $8 per child. To register, use this link.
Wednesday (Nov. 4)
- Mystery of Your Choice (Online) — 10:30-11:30 a.m. — Participants each offer a short presentation of their selection, followed by discussion with Great Falls Library staff, the website said. To register, use this link.
Thursday (Nov. 5)
- Meet the Artists — 2:15-3:30 p.m. at Reston Community Center (2310 Colts Neck Road) — Shepherd University faculty member Brooke Evers performs a program of renowned art songs with pianist Marina Chamasyan, the website said. To register, use this link.
- Intermediate German Class — 2:30-3:30 p.m. at Great Falls Library (301 Second Ave. N.) — Expand your German learning through exploring language, culture and participating in conversation, the website said. To register, use this link.
- Reel Deal Film Club — 5:45-6:45 p.m. — The Reel Deal Film Club hosts lively discussions of must-see films, the website said. Discussing, The Campaign with Will Ferrell, the group will meet via Zoom. To register, use this link.
Friday (Nov. 6)
- Nature at Night — 5:30-7 p.m. at Riverbend Park (8700 Potomac Hills St.) — Enjoy nighttime hikes, get a peek at nocturnal critters, make an awesome craft, and learn how these animals wake up when we go to sleep, the website said. The cost is $8 per person. To register, use this link.
- Campfire Fridays — 7-8:30 p.m. at Lake Fairfax Park (1400 Lake Fairfax Drive) — Participants can enjoy an evening campfire and s’mores for the whole family, the website said. The cost is $12 per person. To register, use this link.
Saturday (Nov. 7)
- Fall Watershed Cleanup Day — 12 p.m. at Riverbend Park (8700 Potomac Hills St.) — Join Clean Virgina Waterways and the Ocean Conservancy on an International Coastal Cleanup Event to keep our waters clean, the website said. Participants should expect to collect trash from streams and trails, and compile and report results on trash collected to contribute to a global snapshot of littered items. Email to Valeria Espinoza, [email protected], register.
Sunday (Nov. 8)
- Equity Matters: Moving Forward to Equal Justice — 3 p.m. at Reston Community Center (2310 Colts Neck Road) — Showing 3 1/2 Minutes, Ten Bullets, this movie examines the 2012 Florida gas station shooting of Jordan Davis, a Black teenager, the website said. Participants can stay afterward for a moderated conversation with community leaders.
Staff Photo by Jay Westcott