Monday, August 2
- Ornery Beer Reopening (4-10 p.m.) — After closing in Woodbridge, Ornery Beer Company is finally reopening in Fairfax near George Mason University with a celebration including live music from local Cat Janice.
Tuesday, August 3
- Little Historians (11 a.m.) — Join the Reston Historic Trust outside for a new program connecting little ones to the history of their community of Reston. Take a seat and listen to a book related to Reston’s founding principles. Everyone also gets a goodie bag!
- Coffee Break (8:30 a.m.) — Take a coffee break at National Landing’s Summerhouse in Arlington. The beach-themed installment located on 12th Street South is open every Tuesday morning with free coffee from a local roaster for the first 50 guests. Grab a cup of joe and relax before work.
Wednesday, August 4
- Great American Outdoors Act Turns One (all day) — Commemorating the signing of the Great American Outdoors Act one year ago, every National Park is free this Wednesday. Only six times a year are National Parks free to visit, so take the day off and head to Great Falls, Shenandoah, or another regional national park.
Thursday, August 5
- Frying Pan Farm Park Concert (7:30 p.m.) — Head off to Herndon for an evening with Billy Coulter, a local singer/songwriter inspired by musicians from Bob Dylan to David Bowie.
Friday, August 6
- A Brief Shakespeare Festival (6 p.m.) — Fairfax City Theater is putting on a festival dedicated to the Bard by performing 15 minute-versions of some of his greatest works. The performances will take place outside at Veterans Amphitheater, next to City Hall.
- Movies in the Park (7:45 p.m.) — Bring a blanket, chair, a picnic and the whole family for a movie outside of Brown’s Chapel in Reston. This week’s movie is “Croods: New Age.” This event, of course, is weather-permitting.
Saturday, August 7
- Lubber Run Concert (8 p.m.) — Listen to Arlington-native Bobby Thompson perform songs from his latest album at the Lubber Run Amphitheater in Arlington. This venue celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2019 and, after a season of cancelled performances, concerts are back in this amphitheater located in a wooded county park.
Sunday, August 8
- Meteor Shower (1 a.m.) — Stay up late (or get up early) for this meteor shower watch party at Goose Creek Bridge Historic Park in Loudoun County. Every August, Earth passes through a debris field caused by a comet which creates the Perseid Meteor Shower. 1 a.m. is the best time to see meteors due to activity and lack of light pollution.
- Night Hike and S’mores (7:30 p.m.) — Take a night hike with a county naturalist through Reston’s Lake Fairfax Park, listening and looking for evidence of nocturnal animals. End the hike with a campfire and gooey s’mores.
Fairfax County set height limits for flag poles, among other changes, with its zoning ordinance modernization in 2021 (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) A day after neighboring Arlington County made…
The Fairfax County Courthouse (staff photo by Jay Westcott) In response to calls for additional legal assistance, Fairfax County is poised to establish a self-help resource center in the library…
Police line up on Route 7 during an armed robbery pursuit (via @notaveryh/Twitter) Police took two people into custody yesterday (Thursday) after a reported armed robbery in Great Falls turned…
A Fairfax County police car (file photo) Police have identified the couple that was found dead in Reston Tuesday (March 21) afternoon in what they say was a murder-suicide. According…