OS International Expands — The Reston-based company acquired Vykin Corporation, which specializes in communications, intelligence, and IT support to the intelligence community. The move is the company’s fourth acquisition in the past four years. [ExecutiveBiz]
LeaseAccelerator Acquires Australian Company — The Reston-based developer of enterprise lease accounting software acquiring Guardian Global Systems, which provides real estate administration software. [Potomac Tech Wire]
Summerbration Concert is Tonight — Cedar Creek offers a country performance with dance construction at Reston Station Plaza from 7-9 p.m. The concert is free and open for all ages. [Reston Community Center]
Photo via vantagehill/Flickr
The event, which aims to celebrate and support Reston’s LGBTQ community, is co-chaired by the Unitarian Universalist Church, St. Anne’s Episcopal Church, and United Christian Parish.
Building on last year’s event, the festival will feature entertainment, music, food, education and celebration, according to event organizers.
“The Lake Anne Plaza venue offers not only more space but greater visibility and access — and brings the festival into the heart of Reston, which is fitting as Reston since its founding in the 1960s has been committed to the principles of equality and inclusion.”
The schedule for the event is below:
- 2 p.m.: Welcome note by Reston Pride co-chairs
- 2:05 p.m.: Remarks by Hunter Mill District Supervisor Cathy Hudgins, Del. Ken Plum, and Sen. Janet Howell
- 2:30 p.m.: Performance by choir from sponsoring churches
- 2:40 p.m.: Vocal performance by Reston Community Players
- 3:15 p.m.: Remarks by faith leader speakers
- 3:35 p.m.: Drag show performance by Delta B. Knyght
- 4:05 p.m.: Vocal performance by Rev. Michelle Nickens
- 4:25 p.m.: Remarks by official speaker Danica Roem
- 4:40 p.m.: Vocal performance by Jeff Young
- 5:05 p.m.: Indian Bollywood dance performance
- 5:20 p.m.: United Christian Parish Total Praise ensemble
- 5:40 p.m.: Voices of Howard University
- 6:10: Vocal performance by Laura Tsaggaris
- 6:55 p.m.: Closing remarks
Tomorrow (June 1)
- Gardens of Note Tour (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) — Take a self-guided tour of Reston’s gardens and pop-up musical entertainment. Registration is open online. A garden party at Hidden Lane Residential Landscapes will follow the tour.
- Wildlife Counts and Classes (6:45 a.m. to 12 p.m.) — Adult volunteers will explore Reston’s natural areas in this class, which meets at the Walker Nature Center.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — A stilt walker, juggler and face painter performs onstage at Reston Station Plaza atop Wiehle-Reston East Metro. The event is free and open to all. Parking is free in the Metro Parking garage.
- Summer Reading Kickoff (11 a.m.) — Young readers are invited to join authors Erica Perl and Laura Gehl to read some of their favorite titles at Scrawl Books.
- ArtSplash for Adults (2-4 p.m.) — Adults are invited to create their own masterpieces in this workshop led by artists from Abrakadoodle Northern Virginia.
- Lake House Open House (1-3 p.m.) — Enjoy light refreshments and mingle with neighbors during community-drop in time.
Sunday (June 2)
- Nova Tour de Cure (6 a.m. to 4 p.m.) — The event, which is the American Diabetes Association’s signature fundraiser, raises funds for research, advocacy, programs, and education. It will take place at Reston Town Center.
- Sunday Art in the Park (7-8 p.m.) — Hear the voice of the cello in favorites with assistant profess or cello Julian Schwarz and pianist Marika Bournaki at Reston Town Square Park. The event is free and open to all.
Photo by Debra Haffner
Word on the street — StreetShares, a financial technology startup, has moved to new headquarters in Reston. It offers a marketplace to provide financing for small business. [Technical.ly]
Calling all volunteers — Reston Association is looking for volunteers to help out with the multicultural festival at Lake Anne Plaza on September 22. To volunteer, contact [email protected]. [Reston Today]
The weekender — Looking for things to do in Fairfax County this weekend? Local officials offer the following roundup of events in the area. [Fairfax County Government]
Summerbration concert tonight — Enjoy a free concert as part at Reston Station Plaza from 7-9 p.m. This week’s event The Swingin’ Swamis. [Reston Community Center]
Flickr pool photo by vantagehill
Lorton teen accused of killing Reston couple incompetent to stand trial — The teenager accused of killing his girlfriend’s parents in their Reston home in late December is incompetent to stand trial. The now 18-year-old Lorton teen was charged as a juvenile in connection with the murders of Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, 43, and Scott Fricker, 48, on December 22. A judge ruled that brain damage caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound impacted the teen’s ability to understand the trial. [The Washington Post]
Back to school bash — Get your school spirit back to prepare for the return to school at Saturday’s event at South Lakes High School. Information about resources, programs and services will be available for the family. [Reston Community Center]
EXO-itement — The apartment building on 1807 Oracle Way is gaining more attention for its color-changing facade. [The Washington Post]
Uniting against crime — Local residents gathered in Reston neighborhoods to celebrate National Night Out, a nationwide crime-prevention event held the first Tuesday of August. [The Connection]
Summerbration concert tonight — Enjoy a world jazz concert tonight at Reston Station Plaza from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Parking is free from 6:30-9:30 p.m. [Reston Community Center]
Flickr pool photo by vantagehill