The Wells Fargo Branch at the International Center off of Sunrise Valley Drive closed its doors on Aug. 1, directing customers to the new branch at North Point Village Center. There is also a Wells Fargo Branch at Hunters Woods.
The building has been empty ever since. The space shares the parking lot with an eclectic mix — a 7-Eleven, Reston Kabob, Popeyes, the Reston International Center office building, and a little farther down, Chili’s.
The International Center area is expected to undergo major changes eventually. In 2013, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved the plans for a large mixed-use development there.
The plans will enhance the Reston Heights area built in the last several years. That area includes the Westin Reston Heights, the Mercer Condominium and office buildings.
The next phase will include 145,000 square feet of above-grade retail, 100,00 square feet of below-grade retail, 428,225 square feet of office and more than 400 residential units.
The new phase will potentially have a new grocery and neighborhood retail space and will be a pedestrian friendly, urban-type streetscape with mid-rise residential above, says JBG Companies, the project developers.
Some of the highlights of the design proposal from Cunningham Quill Architects and Olin, a landscape architecture firm:
- A design that “engages with the landscape,” particularly in its site across from open space at Reston National Golf Course.
- Connection with the Wiehle Reston-East Metro Station via a bike/foot path. Reston Heights is about one mile from the Silver Line station.
- Several six-story buildings and a retail plaza.
- Public art screening elements on parking garage facades.
- A retail plaza with restaurants, outdoor seating and a water feature and a mix of public spaces and private plazas for residents.
- Entrances off of Sunrise Valley Drive, as well as Reston Parkway.