Fairfax County Public Schools has announced it will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 27. This will be the fifth snow day of the 2015-16 school year.
Many school driveways — as well as residential neighborhoods — in Fairfax County have not yet been plowed, making school access unsafe.
Said FCPS in a statement:
While road conditions are improving, they vary greatly across the County, with some roads not yet clear. In order to open safely as soon as road conditions permit, FCPS crews are working around-the-clock to clear access to schools and offices.
FCPS will continue to monitor the situation daily and another update will be provided tomorrow afternoon. Changes to the end of the semester dates are under evaluation and any changes will be communicated when possible.”
Cancellation also includes all activities on school grounds:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
- School age child care (SACC) centers are closed
Photo: Snow at Terraset ES/Credit: Leslie Sogandares