Services for Nabra Hassanen will take place this afternoon at the All Dulles Area Muslim Society (46903 Sugarland Road, Sterling).
Hassanen was killed Sunday after what police say was an extreme road-rage incident on Dranesville Road. She was walking along with friends back toward the ADAMS Center from McDonald’s.
The ceremony will take place at 1:30 p.m. at the ADAMS Center. South Lakes High School released the following information this morning for those who would like to attend:
- The ADAMS Center has two levels. Those attending who do not practice the faith will be seated either in the sanctuary area in chairs off to the side or on the balcony level. Men and women are separate in the sanctuary area and guests seated in that area will also be separate by gender.
- Please dress conservatively — shirts should be elbow-length or below and pants or skirts should be at or below the knee. Dressing conservatively is expected. Head coverings or scarfs for women are appropriate if you choose.
- The funeral service is not very long (30 mins). For those who are guests, our role will be to reflect in quiet while observing the traditional prayers. Unlike most Christian services, there are not usually speakers or tributes done.
- There are no flowers — do not bring nor do any groups need to send.
- The burial will take place afterward [at Sterling Cemetery]. The ADAMS Center is providing some transportation for those who would like to attend. Please note that the burial is a very quiet, somber ceremony with a lot of tradition. The men in the family take the active role. It is most appropriate for family and close friends to attend.
Our thoughts & prayers are with Sr. Nabra's family, May Allah (swt) grant comfort, serenity, strength and patience in this difficult time. pic.twitter.com/i459PWzixt
— ADAMS Center (@ADAMSCenter_) June 21, 2017
A public vigil in Nabra’s memory is also planned for 6:30 p.m. tonight at Lake Anne Plaza. More than 1,400 people have indicated on Facebook that they plan to attend. Check the Facebook page for information about parking.
Reston Association (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Reston Association is seeking candidates for its 2024 Board of Directors’ election. Four seats are open for the election, which will take place…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Embarking on the holiday season demands…
Gov. Glenn Youngkin announces a “Building Blocks for Virginia Families” plan to increase funding for early childhood education (Official Photo by Christian Martinez, Office of Governor Glenn Youngkin) With the…
A renovation of Lake Thoreau pool has been completed (courtesy Reston Association/YouTube) The renovation of Reston’s Lake Thoreau pool has officially been completed in time for the 2024 pool season….