(This post, originally published at 10 a.m., was updated at 1:26 p.m. with new information about road conditions andat 2:02 p.m.)
As a nor’easter continues in the area, there are more than 62,000 people without power in Fairfax County. A high wind warning warning is in effect through 6 a.m. on Saturday, but the worst may be behind us.
The National Weather Service suggests remaining indoors as winds with gusts of up to 58 miles per hour roar through the area. The strongest winds are expects late this morning and into the afternoon.
Reston Association urges all residents to steer clear of pathways due to “extremely hazardous conditions.”
PLEASE STAY OFF PATHWAYS: Staff are reporting extremely hazardous conditions on #Reston pathways. With the number of trees and limbs coming down, walking on the pathways can be life threatening at this time. #windmageddon #noreaster pic.twitter.com/bsP774S0HO
— Reston Association (@RestonOnline) March 2, 2018
Check back here for updates on road conditions, power outages and downed trees and wires.
- 2021 Hunter Mill Road – Tree in roadway
- Leigh Mill Road & Georgetown Pike – Tree in roadway
- West Ox Road between Centreville Road and Frying Pan Park – Closed due to tree and wires in roadway
- Georgetown Pike & Ellsworth Avenue – Pole and wires in roadway
- Green Range Drive & Antiqua Court – Tree in roadway
- North Shore Drive & Temporary Road – Tree in roadway
- 1123 Utterback Store Road – Pole and wires in roadway
- 10004 Beach Mill Road – Tree in roadway
- Fairfax County Public Schools — Closed
- Fairfax County Government — Open with unscheduled leave
- YMCA Fairfax County Reston — Closed
- Hidden Creek Club — Closed
- Reston Community Center — All programs are cancelled. No refunds will be issued for inclement weather. For more info call 703-476-4500.
- Terry L. Smith Aquatics Center — Open at 9 a.m.
Reporting Downed Trees and Wires
- Reston Association property: Call 703-437-7658.
- Dominion Energy: Call 1-866-366-4357 or visit www.dom.com/outage-center.
- For all emergency incidents, call 911.
- Roadways: Call the Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-367-7623, TTY 711, or use VDOT’s online reporting form.
- County Government buildings: 703-324-2055, TTY 711
- Fairfax County Park Authority property: 703-324-8594, TTY 711 or report online
- Fairfax County Public Schools property: 703-764-2429, TTY 711
Here’s a roundup of what locals are observing on social media:
— Katherine (@scarletalphabet) March 2, 2018
— Leanne Wiberg (@craterlady) March 2, 2018
Photo via Twitter user [email protected]_Lackland
This post has been updated.
Fairfax County Public Schools School-based COVID-19 vaccination clinics for elementary school-aged children could be set up as soon as mid-November, Fairfax County Public Schools officials say. As reported to the…
The developer of a 300-unit apartment building near the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station and along Hidden Creek Country Club plans to scale back parking at the site. Golf Course Overlook…
Looking to explore near your home? Discover the offerings of Burke Lake Park in the latest Reston Home Insider.
Herndon is moving toward examining mixed-use possibilities near the pending Herndon Metro station and expects to use money from private landowners to “study” the area. Under the agreement, certain property…