Updated at 4:35 p.m. on Jan. 2 — A person was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
Firefighters responded to an apartment fire on Christmas Day (Dec. 25).
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units were at the scene at 7:03 p.m. of a fire in a bedroom closet of an apartment in the 1700 block of Ascot Way. An electrical event with the light fixture in the closet started the fire.
Smoke was spotted in the front of the two-story, condominium building. One person in the apartment self-evacuated after the smoke alarm went off and was transported to an area hospital with minor, non-life-threatening injuries, according to the fire department.
More from a fire department press release:
On Tuesday, December 25 at approximately 6:40 p.m., units were dispatched for a reported fire in a condominium in the 1700 block of Ascot Way in the Reston section of Fairfax County.
Units arrived on scene with smoke showing from the front of a two-story, condominium building. Crews quickly extinguished a fire in a bedroom of one of the units. There were no reports of firefighter injuries. One occupant was treated and transported to an area hospital with minor, non-life-threatening injuries.
There was one occupant home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered by the occupant after a smoke alarm sounded. The occupant was able to self-evacuate and call 9-1-1.
Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in a bedroom closet. The cause of this fire was an electrical event involving the light fixture in the closet.
No one was displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered but was declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $18,750.
This story will be updated.
— Fairfax Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) December 26, 2018
Map via Google Maps
(Updated at 4:15 p.m.) A redevelopment proposal for nearly 9-acre parcel of land near Lake Fairfax Park is headed for a vote before the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors this…
Electric buses have at last joined Northern Virginia’s largest local bus fleet. Fairfax Connector launched the eight battery-powered vehicles out of its West Ox Operations and Maintenance Center (4970 Alliance…
Reston Association (staff photo by Jay Westcott) Reston Association’s Board of Directors has a new vacancy. Mike Collins — who represents apartment owners within RA’s membership — resigned Friday (Sept….
A belated Mosaic Fall Festival, postponed by rain, takes over Strawberry Park on Saturday, Sept. 30 (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Metro Still Recovering From Derailment Near National Airport — “Most…