Although Flavors of Fall will not be happening this year, residents can still enjoy the Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce’s Reston Pumpkin 5K and Kids Pumpkin Dash on Sunday (Oct. 13). The race kicks off at 8:15 a.m. at Reston Town Center and the pumpkin dash kicks off at 9:15 a.m.
Participants are encouraged to debut their Halloween costumes. Today (Friday) is the last day to take advantage of the early registration rate $30 per person. Prices rise to $35 per person over the weekend.
Participants in the pumpkin dash — which is open to children age 14 and under — are divided into heats based on age. Distances vary from 20 to 100 yards based on the age of participants.
Tomorrow (Oct. 12)
- Indie Author Day (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.) — Drop by and meet local writer sin the community at Reston Regional Library. Books will be available for sale and signing.
- ArtSplash for Adults (2-4 p.m.) — Create your own masterpiece in this workshop led by artists from Abrakadoodle Northern Virginia.
Sunday (Oct. 13)
- Bird Walks (7:30-10:30 a.m.) — Search for birds in some of Reston’s most beautiful areas at this walk, which is co-sponsored by Audubon Society of Northern Virginia and The Bird Feeder store.
- History of World War II (2-4 p.m.) — Harry Butowsky, a George Mason University professor, continues his six-part lecture series on the war at Reston Regional Library.
- Book Launch Party with Sen. Janet Howell (2 p.m.) — Howell and her daughter-in-law, Theresa Howell, will introduce their new book, “Leading the Way: Women in Power,” at Scrawl Books.
- Sunday Afternoon Dance (2:30-4:30 p.m.) — Dancers of all skill levels are invited for an afternoon of dance at Reston Community Center Hunters Woods. Each session is $5 for Reston residents and $10 for all others.
- Country Western Dance (5:30-7:30 p.m.) — Western dance is the focus of this evening session at Reston Community Center Hunters Woods. Each session is $5 for Reston residents and $10 for all others.
Photo by Chip McCrea