A new global performance marketing agency is expanding its US-based operations by opening its fourth global site in Reston.
Sandstorm Digital LLC plans to take up office space at Comstock’s Reston Station.
The company, which has offices in the Middle East and Europe, is expanding its global footprint to cater to the North American market, company officials wrote in a statement. The location is the company’s first in the United States.
Sandstorm Digital’s clients include Ferrari, Pizza Hut, First Abu Dhabi Bank, Al-Jalila Foundation, FedEx and Sky News.
“The strategic expansion into the US market marks a new milestone in our growth story. The area has a thriving and innovative tech community and a workforce that is second to none,” wrote Omar Kattan, the company’s global chief strategy officer.
Reston is uniquely positioned to help the country grow in the Dulles Technology Corridor, said Tala Kattan, managing partner of U.S. operations.
Sandstorm offers digital marketing services, including Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing, paid advertising, and content development.
The company will be located at 1900 Reston Metro Plaza, suite 600.
Photo via Sandstorm/Facebook
The 37th annual Reston Century Bike Tour returns to Reston Town Center on Sunday (August 25).
Riders select routes of 22, 60, 80 or 100 miles — with all routes start and ending at RTC. The event is set to happen rain or shine. A post-ride party will be held in the pavilion for participating cyclists.
Registration is open online.
Tomorrow (August 24)
- Dog Paddle for Small Dogs (10 a.m. to noon) — Dogs under 30 pounds can dip in the pool during this event at the North Hills Recreation Area. Registration is $6 for RA members and $8 for all others. A second session is planned from 2-4 p.m.
- Summer Stem (10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) — Children between ages 9 and 14 can dive into the exciting world of robotics. Registration is open online.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy a performance by Rocknoceros at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open to all.
- Reston Concerts on the Town (7:30-10 p.m.) — The final “Reston Concerts on the Town” performance brings Empire Strikes Bass to the pavilion at Reston Town Center. Attendees are encouraged to bring a lawn chair or picnic blanket.
Sunday (August 25)
- Dog Paddle for All (10 a.m to noon) — Dogs of all sizes are invited to dip in the pool at North Hills Recreation Area. Female dogs in heat are not permitted and all dogs must remain under control at all times.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy a performance by a face painter, balloon twister and stilt walker at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open to all. Parking is free on weekends in the Metro garage.
Photo via Ed Robichaud
Summerbration with Battery Lane is Tonight — Enjoy classic rock during this weekly summer concert from 7-9 p.m. at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open to all. [Reston Community Center]
Town of Herndon Celebrates 30 Years of Keeping Green — The town received its first “Tree City Award,” started the Herndon Farmers Market and hired its first community forester. To celebrate, the town of is offering free goodies at the farmer’s market. [Herndon Police Department]
A Refresher on Road Rules Ahead of Back to School — With county schools back in session next week, county officials are reminding drivers to review road rules for school buses, school zones and crossing guards. [Fairfax County Government]
Photo via vantagehill/Flickr
As schools go back into session later this month, the Friends of the Reston Regional Library is hosting a book sale for teens, children, and educators this weekend.
The book sale, which began on Thursday, continues through the weekend. Books will be available for purchase tomorrow (Saturday) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Sunday (August 18) from 1-3:30 p.m.
It takes place at Reston Regional Library and features books in used condition.
The next book sale — which will not include children’s books — is set for September 25.
Tomorrow (August 17)
- Back 2 School Bash (11 a.m. to 2 p.m.) — The bash includes interactive activities and offers information to help children and families prepare for school. The event takes place at South Lakes High School (11400 South Lakes Drive).
- The Arithmechicks Add Up Book Launch (11 a.m.) — Ann Marie Stephens celebrates the launch of her third children’s book “Arithmechicks Add Up.” Refreshments will also be offered.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy tunes from the Ryan Forester Band at the Reston Station Plaza. Parking is free on weekends in the Metro parking garage.
- Reston Concerts on the Town (7:30-10 p.m.) — Underhill Rose brings progressive bluegrass, country and Americana to Reston Town Center’s pavilion. Attendees should bring a lawn chair or picnic blanket.
Sunday (August 18)
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy a performance by Interactive Theater of Jef at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open for all ages.
- Sunday Art in the Park (7-8 p.m.) — The class of 2020 presents a cabaret-style performance featuring Broadway hits at Reston Town Square Park.
Pool Schedule Season Five Begins Next Week — A number of changes are coming to the timings and hours of Reston Association’s pools beginning Monday. [Reston Association]
A Debrief on the Reston Planning & Zoning Committee — Reston Association’s Chief Operating Officer Larry Butler discusses the role of the committee, a volunteer group that meets the third Monday of each month at the North County Government Center (1801 Cameron Glen Drive). [Reston Today]
Enjoy Four Star Combo Tonight — “The sound of The Combo is high-energy 1950’s Rockabilly and Honky Tonk played without any pretense of modernization or any kind of damn-fool ‘fusion’ of styles.” The band will perform at Reston Station Plaza from 7-9 p.m. [Reston Station]
Photo via vantagehill/Flickr
More than 60 teams will converge at Lake Anne Plaza to take part in the third annual Lake Anne Cardboard Boat Regatta tomorrow (Saturday).
Boats will begin arriving at the plaza between 10:30 a.m. and noon. The first race begins at 1 p.m. Races continue between two teams at a time throughout the afternoon.
An awards ceremony will be held in the afternoon.
More information about the race is available online.
- ACEing Autism One Day Clinic (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — The clinic will take place at Lake Newport’s tennis courts (11452 Baron Cameron Avenue). A convenience fee of $2.95 will be waived at checkout.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy a performance by a latin and salsa band at Reston Station Plaza. This week’s performance includes dance instruction. Parking is free on weekends in the Metro Parking garage.
Sunday (August 10)
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m) — Enjoy a performance by Dixieland Band at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open for all.
- Sunday Afternoon Dance (2:30-4:30 p.m.) — Dancers of all skill levels convene at Reston Community Center Hunters Woods for an afternoon of dance. The cost if $5 for Restonians and $10 for all others.
- Sunday Art in the Park (7-8 p.m.) — Professor of Flute Jonathan Snowden performs with his Wife at Reston Town Square Park. The event is free and open for all.
Photo via Nova Labs/Facebook
The four-day Frying Pan Farm Park 4-H Fair and Carnival continues into the weekend. Admission to the fair is free, but parking is $10 per car tomorrow and Sunday.
The opening ceremony kicks off at 10 a.m. tomorrow (Saturday). The carnival is on from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. tomorrow and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday (August 4).
In addition to entertainment throughout the weekend, fair-goers can take part in a number of activities, including goat milking, a carousel, and blacksmithing.
More information is available online.
- Weekly Beer Run (9:45-11:15 a.m.) — Run, jog or walk beautiful paved paths around Lake Anne with “beer runers.”
- Lake House Open House (10 a.m. to noon) — The community building is open for community drop-in time and light refreshments.
- Artist-led Bookmaking Workshop (1-3 p.m.) — Join Homie House Press for a bookmaking workshop at Greater Reston Arts Center.
- ArtSplash for Adults (2-4 p.m.) — Create a masterpiece in this art workshop for adults led by artists from Abrakadoodle Northern Virginia at Reston Regional Library.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy a performance titled “juggler, balloon twister and glitter tattoos” at Reston Station Plaza. Parking is free on weekends in the Metro Parking garage.
Sunday (August 4)
- Bird Walk at Buttermilk Creek Nature Trail (7:30-10:30 a.m.) — Beginning and expert birders can search for birds in Reston. Participants should park at Uplands Pool.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy Flow Circus at Reston Station Plaza. Parking is free on weekends in the Metro Parking garage.
- Sunday Art in the Park (7-8 p.m.) — The MLO Fusion Project performs contemporary jazz standards with a modern twist at Reston Town Square Park. Performances are free and open to all.
Day Two of the 4-H Fair and Carnival Continues — Day two of the 71st annual 4-H fair and carnival continues today (Friday). Parking and admission is free all day. Carnival hours are from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4-9 p.m. [Fairfax County Government]
Swingin’ Swamis at Reston Station Plaza Tonight — Experience R&B Rock and work through dance moves tonight at Reston Station Plaza from 7-9 p.m. [Reston Station Plaza]
Hunter Mill Road Now Open — The road between Mount Sunapee Road and Hunting Crest Lane has reopened after an extended closure due to downed wires. [Fairfax County Police Department]
Meet the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority Next CEO — “When Victor Hoskins was introduced as the next president and CEO of the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority, he tossed out some revelations and showed off his trademark enthusiasm for his chosen profession.” [Fairfax County EDA]
Photo by vantagehill/Flickr
Learn a new way to elevate your yoga game with stand up paddle board yoga tomorrow.
The event is organized in partnership with Surf Reston. Participants will meet at the Lake Anne boat launch. The last class is on September 21.
Registration is available online. Tickets are $20 if you bring your own board and $40 if you do not.
Saturday (July 27)
- Family Fun Entertainment Series (10-10:45 a.m.) — Groovy Nate creates educational shows with exotic musical instruments and puppet skits. Attendees should be ready to move, sing and play.
- Historical Swordsmanship (3-4 p.m.) — Fantasy lovers can learn about sword fighting and gets hands on instruction from professionals at Reston Regional Library.
- Dragonfly Count (9:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Meet at the Walker Nature Center and help count dragonflies in natural areas of Reston.
Sunday (July 28)
- Sunday Art in the Park with GRACE (5:30-7 p.m.) — Greater Reston Arts Center offers creative activities for all ages.
- Sunday Art in the Park (7-8 p.m.) — Professor of clarinet Garrick Zoeter and soprano Mariana Mihai-Zoeter interpret romantic and inspiring work from around the world during this performance at Reston Town Square Park.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Dave Lange presents country and blues music at Reston Station Plaza. Garage parking is free on weekends in the Metro parking garage.
Photo via Beloved Yoga
Attempted Auto Theft Goes Haywire — On Wednesday, the owner of an Audi S8 engine saw someone drive his car away near the 2000 block of Headlands Circle. The driver of the stolen car struggled to make it past a round-about, stopped at a dead end in the neighborhood and fled from the car. The incident happened a few minutes before midnight. [Fairfax County Police Department]
New Orleans Jazz Tonight at Reston Station Plaza — The New Line Brass Band brings funky New Orleans parade music to the plaza today from 7-9 p.m. [Reston Station]
Reston-based Fractal Industries Raises $79 Million — “A whole new ballgame is beginning for Reston-based Fractal Industries. The analytics and insurance software provider today announced it closed its Series A funding round totaling $78.6 million, led by Cannae Holdings and Motive Partners. Coinciding with the fresh round, the company changed its name to QOMPLX.” [American Inno]
Photo via vantagehill/Flickr
St. Anne’s Episcopal Church will host a book sale to help immigrants at the border on Sunday (July 21).
All proceeds from the event will go to the Refugees and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services.
Only cash will be accepted during the sale, which runs from 1-4 p.m. The church is located at 1700 Wainwright Drive.
Tomorrow (July 20)
- Butterfly Count (9:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Help count butterflies in the national areas of Reston and learn tips on identification. Data will be submitted to the North American Butterfly Association for inclusion in their Fourth of July Butterfly Count report.
- Otto the Auto (10:30-11:30 a.m.) — Otto the talking car gives kids lessons on traffic safety. The event is geared toward children between ages three and six.
- Family Fun Entertainment Series (10-10:45 a.m.) — Turley the Magician offers entertainment and itneractive magic at Reston Town Square Park. The event is free for all ages.
- Children’s Friendship Afternoon Tea (1-4 p.m.) — Scrawl Books hosts its very first childrens’ tea at Elden Street Tea Shop. The event also includes an affordable trunk show with American Girl authors reading at each afternoon tea sitting.
- Survivor Girl Launch Party (5-7 p.m.) — Celebrate the lunch of a middle-grade novel, “The Friendship Experiment,” at the Walker Nature Ceter. Writer Erin Teagen will host the party and introduce her new book.
- Books Alive (2:30-3:15 p.m.) — Students will explore age-appropriate stories through creative drama at Reston Regional Library. Registration is required for this event.
Sunday (July 21)
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy interactive theater at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open for all ages. Parking is free on weekend in the Metro Parking garage.
- Sunday Art in the Park with GRACE (5:30-7:30 p.m.) — Greater Reston Arts Center partners with Reston Community Center to offer creative activities at Reston Town Square Park.
- Sunday Art in the Park (7-8 p.m.) — Robert Larson, a professor of jazz, joins special guests for an evening of jazz trio standards at Reston Town Square Park. The event is presented by Reston Community Center and Reston Town Center Association.
- Family Dive-In Movie (8:30-10:15 p.m.) — RA pass holders can come to the Dogwood Recreation Area for free pool-side movies. Registration is not required and the event will be cancelled in the event of rain or possible rain.
Photo by Ray Copson
Fairfax County to Seek Flood Recovery Funds — “At its July 16 meeting, the county’s Board of Supervisors declared a local emergency for Fairfax County as a result of the July 8 torrential rainstorm that caused substantial damage to both public and private property. The heavy rains caused several county closures, numerous road closures, damage to homes, businesses, roads and dams as well as multiple rescues from our fire and rescue personnel of motorists stranded in flooded roadways.” [Fairfax News]
Previous Charges for Sex Offender in Custody for Assault in Reston — Gregg MacDonald reports that the suspect arrested in connection with a June 11 sexual assault was originally convicted of a sex crime in Greenville, S.C. in 2006. He is listed as wanted in the Virginia State Police Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry. [Fairfax County Times]
Free Yoga on Reston Station Plaza Today — Beloved Yoga hosts a free yoga session for all at Reston Station Plaza today from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Yoga sessions continue throughout the summer. Attendees should bring water, a mat and a “zen-ready mind,” according to event organizers. [Reston Station]
Photo by vantagehill/Flickr
Six folk, bluegrass and blues bands are in the lineup for the fourth annual Lake Anne Roots Music Festival.
The festival, which features a beer and wine garden and fun for the whole family, is set for tomorrow (Saturday).
The event kicks off with the opening of taps at 11:30 am. Performances will take place through 8 p.m.
The event is sponsored by Friends of Lake Anne and Reston Community Center. It will take place at Lake Anne Plaza (1609 Washington Plaza).
Saturday (July 13)
- Fairy Festival (10-11:30 a.m.) — Explore a woodland trail with fairy house and help build a fair house from natural materials.
- Bookworms Club (11 a.m.) — Young readers can take part in the weekly club at Scrawl Books. Each week, readers explore a new theme with picture books. Members who attend ten sessions receive a free book.
- Summer STEM (10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) — Children between ages two and nine can learn how to build structure with a mix of materials at Reston Regional Library.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy Motown and rock at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free and open for all ages.
- Family Fun Entertainment Series with Guava Jelly (10-10:45 a.m.) — The pair performs music infused with a “lively island feel” at Reston Town Square Park. The event is free and open for all ages.
Sunday (July 14)
- Jennifer Ryan at Scrawl Books (2 p.m.) — The author of “The Spies of Shilling Lane” will be on-site for a book signing. This is Ryan’s second novel.
- Summerbration Fun Brunch with a Stilt Walker, a Juggling and a Face Painter (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) — Enjoy a performance by a trio at Reston Station Plaza. The event is free for all ages. Parking is also free on weekends in the Metro Parking garage.
- Sunday Afternoon Dance (2:30-4:30 p.m.) — Dancers of all skills levels can dance the afternoon away at this drop-in event. Registration is $5 for Restonians and $10 for all others.
- Art in the Park with GRACE (5:30-7:30 p.m.) — Greater Reston Arts Center and the Reston Community Center welcome visitors to take part in creative art activities for all ages.
Photo via Lake Anne Plaza/Facebook
OS International Expands — The Reston-based company acquired Vykin Corporation, which specializes in communications, intelligence, and IT support to the intelligence community. The move is the company’s fourth acquisition in the past four years. [ExecutiveBiz]
LeaseAccelerator Acquires Australian Company — The Reston-based developer of enterprise lease accounting software acquiring Guardian Global Systems, which provides real estate administration software. [Potomac Tech Wire]
Summerbration Concert is Tonight — Cedar Creek offers a country performance with dance construction at Reston Station Plaza from 7-9 p.m. The concert is free and open for all ages. [Reston Community Center]
Photo via vantagehill/Flickr
Self-described as “a cello rock powerhouse featuring three cellists and a drummer,” Cello Fury performs original music combining cello sounds with rock beats.
The performance will take place at Reston Station Plaza from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on Sunday.
Parking is free on weekends in the Metro parking garage.
Tomorrow (June 29)
- Síneadh Fada with Foley Academy of Irish Dance (11 a.m.-1 p.m.) — Enjoy free Irish dancing outside the Jahn Building atop Wiehle-Reston East Metro.
- Bookworms Club (11 a.m.) — This book club for young readers meets regularly on Saturdays at Scrawl Books.
Sunday (June 30)
- Guesstimation Game (all day) — Preschoolers to sixth graders can learn how to guesstimate at the Herndon Fortnightly Library.
- Reston Runners (7 a.m.) — The Reston Runners will meet at the Lake Anne Village Center for 3- and 6- mile walks, 10- and 17-mile runs and a 12-mile trail run.
- Sunday Art in the Park: Two Bass Hit (7-8 p.m.) — Professor of Bass Donovan Stokes will lead a diverse program of jazz, gypsy jazz and other international music for two basses at the corner of Market and Explorer streets in Reston Town Center. The event is free and open to all
Photo via Cello Fury/Facebook