As Memorial Day approaches on Monday, May 31, a few community and government facilities will be closed or have altered schedules.
Fairfax County Government:
- County government offices will be closed on May 31.
Fairfax County Courts:
- The Fairfax Circuit, General District, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District courts will be closed all day on May 31.
County Libraries, Recreation Centers, Parks:
- All Fairfax County library branches will be closed.
- All Fairfax County RECenters will operate at their regular hours.
- Colvin Run Mill and Sully Historic Site grounds will be open from noon to 4 p.m. for strolling, but all the buildings will be closed.
- The E.C. Lawrence, Hidden Oaks, Hidden Pond, and Huntley Meadows nature centers will be open from noon until 5 p.m. on May 31.
- The Riverbend Park visitor center will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Green Spring Garden’s horticultural center will be open from noon to 4:30 p.m., and its historic house will be closed.
- Fairfax Connector buses will operate on a Sunday service schedule. Check the link for details on specific routes.
- WMATA Metrorail service will operate from 7 a.m.-11 p.m. on Saturday and from 8 a.m.-11 p.m. on Sunday and Monday.
- WMATA Metrobus will operate on a Sunday service schedule.
County Trash and Recycling:
- There will be no change in the county’s trash and recycling collection.
- The recycling and disposal centers at the I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex will be open.
- The Reston Community Center Hunters Woods will open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Reston Community Center Lake Anne will be closed all day Monday.
- The town offices and Herndon Community Center will be closed Monday.
- Recycling normally collected on Monday will be collected Tuesday, June 1.
- The farm at Frying Pan Farm Park will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the indoor arena will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The visitor center at the park will be closed Monday.
As a head’s up for anyone planning to renew their driver’s license soon, all DMV offices will be closed Monday.
Public schools in Fairfax County are open today (Monday). But a lot of people on social media think they shouldn’t be.
With snow and icy rain last night and this morning, several counties, including Prince William and Loudoun, in the D.C. area have closed or delayed start times today for their public schools.
FCPS announced shortly before 5 a.m. on Twitter their schools would be open and start on time today. By 9 a.m. more than 4,000 tweets were using #closefcps and the hashtag was trending in the U.S. on Twitter.
— Catherine D Moran (@c_douglasmoran) December 16, 2019
Reston Now spotted many memes, frustration about FCPS not closing and elation over the hashtag’s popularity among the #closefcps tweets.
Let us know what you think about FCPS staying open today.
Hat tip to Kalina Newman
Updated at 6:55 a.m. — FCPS will be closed Friday.
Fairfax County Public Schools announced the closures this morning. School offices and central offices will open two hours late.
All Fairfax County public schools will be closed today, Feb. 1, 2019. School offices and central offices will open 2 hours late, to be opened by 10 a.m. (Condition 5) with an unscheduled leave policy in effect for 12-month employees.
— Fairfax Schools (@fcpsnews) February 1, 2019
6:51 am: Snow continues to develop locally. A new batch forming right over the city lately.
It may take a while to reach the ground thanks to dry air but it’ll stick immediately once it does. Take it slow out there! pic.twitter.com/nyPAVC9owc
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) February 1, 2019
Earlier: Fairfax County Public Schools are taking no chances amid forecasts calling for a burst of snow during the Friday morning commute.
FCPS will open two hours late tomorrow, the school system announced Thursday night.
Due to the winter weather advisory in effect tomorrow, all Fairfax County public schools and school offices will open two hours late Friday, Feb. 1, 2019 (Condition 3A). Central offices will open by 10:00 a.m.
— Fairfax Schools (@fcpsnews) January 31, 2019
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the area.
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 3 PM EST FRIDAY… * WHAT…SNOW IS LIKELY. SNOW ACCUMULATION LESS THAN ONE INCH. THE BEST CHANCE FOR SNOW WILL BE BETWEEN 7 AM AND NOON FRIDAY. * WHERE…THE WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREA. * WHEN…FROM 6 AM TO 3 PM EST FRIDAY. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS…WITH SURFACE TEMPERATURES WELL BELOW FREEZING FRIDAY MORNING, EVEN MINOR ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW COULD CAUSE UNTREATED ROADS TO BECOME ICY. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… DRIVERS SHOULD PREPARE FOR ICY TRAVEL FRIDAY MORNING, AND PLAN FOR EXTRA TIME TO TRAVEL. WHILE IT IS NOT CERTAIN THAT SNOW ACCUMULATION AND ICY TRAVEL WILL DEVELOP AT THIS TIME, THE POTENTIAL THREAT IS THERE. PLAN AHEAD. THE LATEST ROAD CONDITIONS FOR THE STATE YOU ARE CALLING FROM CAN BE OBTAINED BY CALLING 5 1 1. &&
VDOT is asking drivers to proceed with caution Friday morning.
VDOT asks that drivers be alert to potential wintry weather that may impact commutes Friday morning. Light snow and extremely low temperatures may cause icy conditions.
Crews continue working overnight to treat roads for refreeze from earlier this week, and will also be staged tomorrow morning to treat roads for more light snow.
Photo by Twitter user @MrErrett
All Fairfax County Public Schools will open two hours late tomorrow (Friday), ushering in a second day of weather-related impacts on schools.
School offices and central offices will remain open. All county public schools were closed today due to snowy conditions.
Photo via Twitter user @MrErrett
Fairfax County Public Schools will be closed tomorrow as a spring snow storm sweeps through the region.
Although snow fall is mainly over, the risk of refreezing is possible tonight.
Photo by Michael Piper
Highs in Reston will be 18 degrees, but morning temperatures are expected to be around 7 degrees with strong winds.
Offices will be open. The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
School Age Child Care (SACC) centers will also be closed.