Rough Commute for Silver Line Riders, Others on First Safety Surge Workday

by Karen Goff June 6, 2016 at 1:30 pm 4 Comments

Waiting for a train at Wiehle-Reston East June 6/Credit: Chris Pyburn ‏via Twitter

Crowded cars. Waits of up to a half hour at the Wiehle-Reston East station. Clogged roads.

Welcome to the first workday of the first Metro Safety Surge, where Metro shuts or significantly alters service on a section of the system in order to make repairs.

Riders on Silver and Orange Line trains will be affected by track and other safety work through June 16.

While Metro warned in advance that trains would run every 18 minutes, social media statuses showed that waits were much longer for some riders.

Others who opted to drive to work reported clogged major roads.

Metro officials will brief the media this afternoon about how things went on Day 1. Metro says entries west of Ballston were down 26 percent as riders sought other ways to get to work (or telecommute). About 1,000 fewer riders (3,924 compared to 5,002) than on a typical Monday boarded at Wiehle-Reston East, Metro said.

Metro will hold 15 of these Safety Surges over the next 10 months as it undertakes much-needed repairs on an accelerated schedule

Photo: Waiting for a train at Wiehle-Reston East June 6/Credit: Chris Pyburn ‏via Twitter

  • Mel

    Small note – I think the twitter user “Allison” was saying it took her an hour to get from Wiehle to EFC. That full hour was not spent on the Wiehle platform. That would be consistent with/ slightly worse than my experience this morning, where I waited about 12 minutes at Wiehle, but then held at McLean for about 10 additional minutes.

    Overall, I was probably just as inconvenienced as I would be had there been unexpected delays. Because we had fair warning, I understood what the issues were and was more patient than I would be otherwise. The trains were not that crowded. The only inconvenience was that we held at McLean for a really long time, and it felt longer because the guy sitting across the aisle from me was talking on his phone non-stop (which is a huge metro faux-pas).

    • Karen Goff

      Oops. That was supposed to say half an hour. Saw lots of those statuses. About 30 minutes between trains instead of 18. Been corrected.

      • Mel

        Awesome. Superb coverage. Thanks for getting the news out to us commuters. 🙂

  • LakeNewportLady

    My mom took the metro at 8am from wiehle to Union station this morning and it took exactly 1 hour. Normally takes 40/45 mins so overall not too terrible. She did say it was ridiculously crowded though.


Subscribe to our mailing list