Metro’s latest SafeTrack “surge” began today and is expected to last through at least Dec. 21. Reston residents who depend on Metro for their daily commute are likely to feel the pain.
Technical problems — like the decaying rail ties that led to the Silver Line derailment over the summer — have caused a number of issues along the Metrorail system in the past year.
Metro officials are advising commuters to find other ways to get to around the D.C. Metro area as the system’s huge push to boost the system’s safety continues.
“Due to a severe reduction in service, Metro riders who have the ability to do so should consider alternate travel options and avoid traveling during rush hour if possible,” Metro’s latest announcement stated.
Here are other important facts Metro officials want riders to know during this time period:
- Silver Line Trains will be traveling approximately every 20 minutes between Reston’s Wiehle-Reston East and Maryland’s Largo Town Center East.
- Orange Line trains will run every 20 minutes between Vienna and New Carrollton in Maryland.
- Crowding is expected on all Orange and Silver Line trains.
- Crowding is also expected on Blue Line trains between the Rosslyn and Stadium-Armory stations due to reduced capacity on the Orange and Silver Lines.
- Weekend service may also be impacted due to track work on various lines. Weekend service announcements are posted online.
See Metro’s full announcement online, with more details and a list of alternative travel options for commuters.
Peraton is moving its corporate headquarters from Worldgate Drive in Herndon to Reston Town Center. The 19,000-employee company has around 5,000 workers in the D.C. area, and its new space…
An artist using a wall as a canvass has plenty of inspiration as well as the backing of the building’s owner. Vehicles using the Tesla Supercharger at Reston Station have…
The 11.5-mile extension of the Silver Line into Loudoun County has cleared another major hurdle. Contractors have finally completed the rail yard associated with the multibillion-dollar project, according to the…
Park Authority Snags Honors — The Fairfax County Park Authority won three GIS excellence awards during the county’s annual Geographic Information System Day contest. The park authority was one of…