Music fans have a big day ahead of them Saturday, as the first Lake Anne Roots Music Festival will bring an afternoon filled with great tunes.
The festival will be headlined by The Woodshedders, a local favorite who has played numerous festivals around the region. According to their Facebook page, they “bring together the diverse influences of American Country, Rhythm & Blues, Old-Time, Bluegrass and Gypsy Jazz.”
The free event is slated for noon-6 p.m. Saturday. In addition to the music, there will be a plaza-wide beer and wine garden, art vendors and more. The festival is sponsored by Lane Anne Merchants and the Reston Community Center.
There are lots of other things going on this weekend too. Here are some fun things that are happening around Reston this weekend:
- Reston Station’s “Summerbration” series continues tonight at 7 p.m. with a free concert by New Line Brass Band. Tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m., head to a free outdoor showing of “The Secret Life of Pets” on the plaza. The Summerbration events outside the Wiehle-Reston East Metro station will continue through the end of August. (Note: To receive free parking for these events, parking tickets need to be validated by personnel on the plaza. Find the sign that reads “Parking Validation Here.”)
- Reston Town Center’s summer concert series continues Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. with Chuck Redd and the International Jazz All-Stars. The show will take place at the Town Center’s pavilion.
- There will be an opening reception Sunday from 2-4 p.m. for Reston Community Center’s July exhibit, “Nature’s Allure.” It is on display through July at the Jo Ann Rose Gallery (1609 Washington Plaza N.).
- The Reston Farmers Market will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Lake Anne Village Center.
- Reston Museum (1639 Washington Plaza N.) is hosting is “Reston Stories” exhibit through July. The Reston Historic Trust and Museum has been collecting residents’ stories and preserving them for future generations. The collection includes stories about volunteering in Reston, the Fountain at Lake Anne Plaza, the early history of Reston and the amazing connections we make in our community.
- Lake Anne is hosting Sunday Yoga on the Plaza each week, at 9:30 a.m.
- “Radcliffe Bailey: The Great Dismal Swamp” remains on display at Greater Reston Arts Center (12001 Market St.) through August.
- The Family Fun Entertainment Series at Reston Town Center presents Rockneceros at 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Many restaurants and bars in Reston will have live music this weekend. These include: Vinifera Wine Bar and Bistro (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive) from 7-10 p.m every Friday and Saturday night; CraftHouse (1888 Explorer St.) every Friday and Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.; and Tavern64 (1800 Presidents St.) every Friday from 6-10 p.m.
- Heritage Fellowship Church (2501 Fox Mill Road) will host its annual cookout Saturday beginning at noon.
- 24 FIT Reston will hold the Reston Stair Challenge from 3-4 p.m. Sunday at the Purple Garage (11900 Market St.) at Reston Town Center. According to the event’s Facebook page, “We basically go up, across and down the stairwells, with maybe a few surprises thrown in. The challenge really comes from the endurance aspect as we strive for at least 5 to 7 full laps in approx. 1 hour duration.”
- Tonight, join the Walker Nature Center for a screening of an action-adventure movie “Mission Blue.” There is a suggested donation of $5 a person.
- The Reston Community Center will host its Sunday Art in the Park series this Sunday from 3-5 p.m. at the Greater Reston Arts Center. This weekend’s theme is Stencils and Prints. Create your own unique artwork by layering and printing with stencils. Work with pre-made stencils or try your hand at making your own.