Children ages 6 to 14 will be participating in the annual Reston Kids Triathlon this weekend.
The triathlon is scheduled for 8 a.m. Sunday at Ridge Heights Pool (11400 Ridge Heights Road). Participants will be broken into three age groups to tackle the course: Ages 6-8 will swim 50 meters, bike 1.1 miles and run 7/10th of a mile; ages 9-11 will swim 100 meters, bike 2 miles and run 1 mile; and ages 12-14 will swim 150 meters, bike 4 miles and run 1.4 miles.
Those who are not participating in the event should still be aware of it, as traffic on some roads in the area may be affected between about 7:15 a.m. and 10 a.m. Sunday. 7:15-10 a.m. Those roads include Ridge Heights Road, South Lakes Drive, Soapstone Drive and Seahawk Drive.
There’s plenty of other fun around Reston on this summer weekend. Take a look at some of your options below.
(Editor’s Note: This is just a limited list of all the events taking place in the Reston area this weekend. If you have an event you would like to ensure is listed on the website, be sure to submit it to our Events Calendar.)
- The Fairfax County 4-H Fair and Carnival continues this weekend at Frying Pan Farm Park (2709 West Ox Road, Herndon), from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and Saturday, and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free. Parking is free today, and it will be $8 per car Saturday and Sunday.
- This weekend, the “Summerbration” series rolls on at Reston Station. Tonight from 7-9 p.m., Alfredo Mohica & Friends will perform. Saturday night from 8:30-10:30 p.m., there will be a free screening of “Moana.” The Summerbration events outside the Wiehle-Reston East Metro station will continue through the end of August. (Note: To receive free parking for these events, parking tickets need to be validated by personnel on the plaza. Find the sign that reads “Parking Validation Here.”)
- Saturday night, Reston Town Center will continue its summer concert series with Incendio, a Spanish flamenco and Latin fusion group, from 7:30-10 p.m. at the pavilion (11900 Market St.). Parking at RTC is free on the weekends.
- The Reston Farmers Market will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Lake Anne Village Center.
- Lake Anne is also hosting Sunday Yoga on the Plaza each week, at 9:30 a.m.
- “Radcliffe Bailey: The Great Dismal Swamp” remains on display at Greater Reston Arts Center (12001 Market St.) through Aug. 18.
- Reston Community Center’s August exhibit, “The Heart of Art,” is on display at the Jo Ann Rose Gallery (1609 Washington Plaza N.) through Aug. 21. The opening reception will be Sunday from 2-4 p.m.
- Many restaurants and bars in Reston will have live music this weekend. These include: Vinifera Wine Bar and Bistro (11750 Sunrise Valley Drive) from 7-10 p.m every Friday and Saturday night; Crafthouse (1888 Explorer St.) every Friday and Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.; and Tavern64 (1800 Presidents St.) every Friday from 6-10 p.m.
- Kalyspo’s Sports Tavern (1617 Washington Plaza N.) will have live music from Ron Honeycutt and Steele Rose Band tonight from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.; Saturday night, DJ Kram will play Top 40 hits.
- “A Grand Night for Singing” is being performed at NextStop Theatre Company (269 Sunset Park Drive, Herndon) tonight and Saturday at 8 p.m.; with a 2 p.m. matinee Sunday. The show is being performed through Aug. 20. Tickets range from $17.50 to $55.
- Saturday morning at 10 a.m., Reston Community Center’s Family Fun Entertainment series will present The Magic of John Dodge. The free event will be at Reston Town Square Park, at the corner of Market and Explorer streets.
- On Sunday from 7-8 p.m., there will be an Art in the Park event at Reston Town Square Park with the Shenandoah Conservatory. Amor Saudade will perform “romantic and inspiring pieces from Brazil to Romania, jazz and classically inspired work.”
File photo courtesy Sean Bahrami/RA
The weekly planner is a roundup of interesting events over the next week in the Herndon and Reston area. We’ve searched the web for events of note. Want to submit…
Fairfax County Public Schools and six other school divisions, most of them in Northern Virginia, have sued to stop Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s order that makes face masks optional in schools….
Driver Charged in Crash that Killed Reston Woman — Police have charged a Manassas man with driving under the influence and involuntary manslaughter in connection with a car crash that…
Amid a holiday weekend helping to commemorate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., here are the top stories on Reston Now this week. Police: Prisoner with life sentence confesses…