We’re bringing the weekend roundup of events in Reston areas back after retiring the twice-weekly rundown of events and deals by Tim’s Reston.
This weekend, Kwame Alexander, a local New York Times bestselling author, will take part in an author talk and book signing on Saturday from 2-4 p.m. at Reston Regional Library.
The talk is part of The Great American Read programming at Reston Regional Library and it’s sponsored by a host of entities like Reston Regional Library, PBS, the American Library Association, WETA-TV 26, and Friends of Reston Regional Library. All attendees ages six and up are encouraged to take part.
The Reston Triathlon also returns to Reston this weekend. Everything you need to know about the event is available online.
If that isn’t your cup of tea, there’s still plenty of other things to do in the area this weekend:
- Bring your dog for a dip in the pool in the Dogwood Recreation area from 4-7 p.m. today. People are not allowed in the water with the dogs and a current dog license is required.
- Families, couples and individuals are invited to take part in a “Nature Scavenger Hunt” from 2-3 p.m. on Saturday at the Walker Nature Center. Registration is $5 for Reston Association members and $7 for all others.
- Miss Emily is back in town for singing storytime with illustration songs from 10:30-11 a.m. at Reston Regional Library on Saturday. The event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Reston Regional Library.
- Oil and watercolor works by Gwen White are on display from Saturday through October 7 at Reston Community Centers Hunters Woods. The exhibit is titled “It’s Finished When It’s Finished.”
- Author and Spanish teacher Tracey Kyle leads participants through bilingual story time at Scrawl Books from 11 a.m. to noon on Saturday. Her books include Gazpacho for Nacho, Food Fight Fiesta and A Paintbrush for Paco.
- Scout & Molly’s boutique in Reston Town Center is hosting a Joseph Ribkoff Trunk Show featuring its holiday and spring collection at noon until 6 p.m on Saturday.
- The season for cherries and watermelons may be ending, but the Reston Farmer’s Market at Lake Anne Plaza is here to stay until early December. The market is open from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
- “Contemplate Creativity” with this meditation workshop at Greater Reston Arts Center from 9:30-11 a.m on Saturday. Registration is free for GRACE members and $5 for all others.
- Also at GRACE tomorrow, explore the intersection of art and engineering by creating your own kinetic art box with artist Tim Harper from 1-3 p.m. on Saturday. The event is open to participants ages six and up.
- The Tour de Cure, a community festival and a fundraising event dedicated to diabetes in Northern Virginia will take place at Reston Town Center from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday.
- Show of your dancing skills during the “Sunday Afternoon Dance” at Reston Community Center Hunters Woods from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Three mini-lessons and light refreshments will be provided. The cost is $5 for Restonians and $10 for all others. You can also try your hand (or your feet) at western dance from 5:30-8 p.m. the same day, if you’re game.
- If you’re rusty on your computer skills, technology volunteers will be available to guide you through a one-hour session on computers, Internet and ebook help on Sunday. The session is from 2-3 p.m. at Reston Regional Library. Participants should call the library to book an appointment.
- Celebrate the “High Holidays” at Congregation Beth Emeth in Herndon from 6-7 p.m on Sunday. Seats are available for services with family-friendly options.
Photo via Kwame Alexander
A duck takes a bath in Royal Lake near Burke (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) The weekend is almost here. Before you double check your Congressional district or head to…
The festival takes place in Reston Town Square park tomorrow (courtesy Canine Companions) A DogFest is coming to Reston Town Square Park tomorrow (Saturday). The event, slated to take place…
The county is considering ways to preserve dark skies around the observatory (via Fairfax County Government) An effort is underway to preserve the dark skies around the Turner Farm Park…
Lake Audubon from bridge in Reston (photo by Ray Copson) Reminder: Early Voting Begins — “[It’s] the first day to #voteearly in the congressional #midterms! The 8th, 10th & 11th…