Prior to the start of service, local leaders who helped make rail to Reston happen — a 50-year or 20-year process, depending on how you are counting — will hold an opening ceremony.
Many of the officials were on hand last Saturday, as Fairfax County hosted a ribbon cutting and open house for the 2,300-space public parking garage at Reston Station, adjacent to Wiehle-Reston East.
Wiehle-Reston East will be the end of the line for at least five years, when Phase 2 of the Silver Line is expected to be completed. Phase 2 will take passenger to points west of Wiehle-Reston East such as Reston Parkway, Herndon, Dulles International Airport and Ashburn.
The 10 a.m. ceremony is closed to the public, but Reston Now will bring you the details. There is a public celebration on the Reston Station plaza from 11:45 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Here is who will be there:
- U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx
- Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe
- District of Columbia Mayor Vincent C. Gray
- Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-VA 11)
- Congressman Frank Wolf (R-VA 10)
- Congressman Jim Moran D-VA 8)
- Virginia Delegate Kenneth Plum (D-Reston)
- Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Board of Directors
- Metro General Manager and Chief Executive Officer Richard Sarles
For more Silver Line details:
- Silver Line: Your Q &A
- Silver Line: In Their Own Words
- Glimpsing the Future at Wiehle-Reston East Open House
- Connector Will Run Special Shuttles on Silver Line Opening Day
- Silver Line, Connector Will Link Air and Space Museums
- Silver Line Opening Day Plans
- Fairfax Buses Changing Routes for Silver Line Service
Photo: Del. Ken Plum, Rep. Gerry Conolly, Sen Janet Howell and Supervisors Cathy Hudgins and Sharon Bulova were among VIPS at garage opening last Saturday.
Google Announces Vaccine Mandate — Google, which employs more than 420 people in Virginia, has extended its work-from-home policy through Oct. 18, but COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for workers…
Fairfax County will use an estimated $10 million in COVID-19 relief money for another major grant program aimed at helping community partners keep their doors open. The Board of Supervisors…
The Town of Herndon is looking to update decades-old rules involving accessory dwelling units to make the process less burdensome for homeowners. The Herndon Planning Commission held a virtual public…
The latest Reston Home Insider explains why buyer fatigue is so common right now and ways to push through it.