Prior to the start of service, local leaders who helped make rail to Reston happen — a 50-year or 20-year process, depending on how you are counting — will hold an opening ceremony.
Many of the officials were on hand last Saturday, as Fairfax County hosted a ribbon cutting and open house for the 2,300-space public parking garage at Reston Station, adjacent to Wiehle-Reston East.
Wiehle-Reston East will be the end of the line for at least five years, when Phase 2 of the Silver Line is expected to be completed. Phase 2 will take passenger to points west of Wiehle-Reston East such as Reston Parkway, Herndon, Dulles International Airport and Ashburn.
The 10 a.m. ceremony is closed to the public, but Reston Now will bring you the details. There is a public celebration on the Reston Station plaza from 11:45 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Here is who will be there:
- U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx
- Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe
- District of Columbia Mayor Vincent C. Gray
- Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-VA 11)
- Congressman Frank Wolf (R-VA 10)
- Congressman Jim Moran D-VA 8)
- Virginia Delegate Kenneth Plum (D-Reston)
- Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Board of Directors
- Metro General Manager and Chief Executive Officer Richard Sarles
For more Silver Line details:
- Silver Line: Your Q &A
- Silver Line: In Their Own Words
- Glimpsing the Future at Wiehle-Reston East Open House
- Connector Will Run Special Shuttles on Silver Line Opening Day
- Silver Line, Connector Will Link Air and Space Museums
- Silver Line Opening Day Plans
- Fairfax Buses Changing Routes for Silver Line Service
Photo: Del. Ken Plum, Rep. Gerry Conolly, Sen Janet Howell and Supervisors Cathy Hudgins and Sharon Bulova were among VIPS at garage opening last Saturday.
Construction machinery at the I-66 and Nutley Street interchange during sunset (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) In-Person Black Friday Returns — “Over at Tysons Corner in Virginia the parking lot…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. There are so many fun things…
This biweekly column is sponsored by The Mather in Tysons, Virginia, a forward-thinking Life Plan Community for those 62 and better. November — a month containing both Veterans Day and Thanksgiving…
The annual exhibit returns to Reston in early December (courtesy RCC) Reston Community Center will host its 24th annual gifts and shopping exhibit in early December. The Gifts from the…
The Ravel Dance Studio will re-open for fall classes 2020. The school will offer in person and virtual online instruction. With over 5000 sq. ft. to social distance the school has added air ionization filtration systems, ballet barres, acrylic dividers, hands free bathrooms, strict monitoring and more.
The Ravel Dance Studio will produce a Nutcracker Ballet Hollywood style video through the Reston Community CenterStage. REGISTRATION online begins August 17.
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.